Edge Finder Operation

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the best RPM to run for a .5" diameter mechanical edge finder. Does it matter what the material is, how about edge finder diameter or any other variables. This is assuming a vertical mill.

Jack

My method of selecting a speed for an edge finder or wiggler is quite consistent.

It's whatever speed the spindle was turning when the last tool was used.

That is something I've never really given much thought, but I'm sure there is a
proper answer to it.

Rick

I use the same formula as Rick!

Starrett style edge finders will come apart above 2000 rpms. I know, i've done it. If your lucky, you can find the pieces and put it back together. Be careful. Dave.

800rpm to 1000rpm max will give you good results, i think fast is good but 1000rpm max for the safety of the tool

Dave G said:
Starrett style edge finders will come apart above 2000 rpms. I know, i've done it. If your lucky, you can find the pieces and put it back together. Be careful. Dave.

Mine came apart the other day at 1000 rpm BUT I managed to grab it by the other wiggler end without noticing. Stretched the spring but never let go.

Greg

I always run 1000 rpm. It's true that the speed is not so important, but I feel like you get better accuracy from always using the same speed.

What is the best RPM to run for a .5" diameter mechanical edge finder. Does it matter what the material is, how about edge finder diameter or any other variables. This is assuming a vertical mill.

Jack

I run mine at about 500 rpm. 0.5" shank and 4 mm stylus.

Latest posts

Back