Earth quake in Japan!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Butcher

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Another earthquake hits our planet, this time in Japan! It looks like it was a real bad one. A Tsunami is expected to hit the Hawaiian Islands, and the California shore line.

Quoting, Thomas H. Maugh II, Los Angeles Times : "But that wave is now spreading out in the opposite direction at about 500 mph, the speed of a jet airplane. It should hit Hawaii just before 3 a.m. local time and should begin reaching the West Coast around 8 a.m. PST."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2011/03/11/VI2011031100606.html

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sci-japan-earthquake-20110310,0,7154967.story

Here's a graphic video. Watching it made me feel ill. My heart goes out to the people affected by the death and destruction caused by this quake.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWmjRG3m6Dw[/ame]

-MB

I just did read about that disaster and am stunned. That wave will also be headed towards our friends in Oz and I do hope that it has dissipated enough by that time to not cause any real harm. I was reading an article recently on the topic of the moon about it apparently being at its perigee (orbit point closest to the Earth) on 19 March and will also be in a full state. The distance at that time will be just under 225 thousand miles. It was speculated that this closeness may trigger some seismic events but there was no scientific proof to back up that statement. Perhaps now there is. My prayers go out to those that have been involved in this occurrence and anyone else that may still be in harms way until the threat has passed.

BC1
Jim

The earth is changing.....toward who knows what. Read about the New Madrid Fault Line - in upper Arkansas. This is getting closer to home. FEMA ia actually preparing right now for this one that they claim is imminent. Scary stuff!

BillC

BillC said:
The earth is changing.....toward who knows what. Read about the New Madrid Fault Line - in upper Arkansas. This is getting closer to home. FEMA ia actually preparing right now for this one that they claim is imminent. Scary stuff!

BillC

I'm waiting on an event with the New Madrid fault. My feeling is that It's going to happen real soon. And its too close to home (Ohio) for comfort!

-MB

My wife is from Japan originally, so we get the NHK here on cable. What they are reporting is incredible. Landslides in Niigata, northern Japan. A 6.6 just hit Nagano in central Japan. The Gov't has issued tsunami warnings for all coastlines. They are also warning that this is not over, bigger quakes possible. The US Air Force flew in some repair parts and coolant as they start to shut down nuclear power plants. Now the Japanese geology officials say they can't get good seismic readings around Sendai, looks like the grid got damaged too. This is a big event.

You are correct there MB, it happened once before around the earler part of the 1800's. It actually changed the course flow of the Mississippi River. We here in the Midwest tend to overlook these tremendous forces locked deep inside the Earth's crust and have a tendency to become too complacent, thinking that such things only occur in far away coastal regions, California or Alaska, or other parts of the world, when the fact of the matter is, we are sitting on a ticking time bomb. I just read that Japan suffered a second quake of 6.6 magnitude. What the heck is going on? Perhaps that article about the moon being quite close isn't such a fairy tale after all. I think it's time to gas up the truck, pack up the dogs and head to the country, oh yeah, I better not forget old what's her name :big:

BC1
Jim

Our creeks, streams and rivers flood occasionally.
Here, higher ground is usually within walking distance and you have plenty of time to walk to a safe place.

I just can't imagine the sea rising up to 10 meters.

Our thoughts are with all of those affected.

Rick

bearcar1 said:
You are correct there MB, it happened once before around the later part of the 1800's. It actually changed the course flow of the Mississippi River. We here in the Midwest tend to overlook these tremendous forces locked deep inside the Earth's crust and have a tendency to become too complacent, thinking that such things only occur in far away coastal regions, California or Alaska, or other parts of the world, when the fact of the matter is, we are sitting on a ticking time bomb. I just read that Japan suffered a second quake of 6.6 magnitude. What the heck is going on? Perhaps that article about the moon being quite close isn't such a fairy tale after all. I think it's time to gas up the truck, pack up the dogs and head to the country, oh yeah, I better not forget old what's her name :big:
BC1
Jim

BC, 1811 was the year I believe. It been 200 years, and theirs be a lot of activity and phenomenons lately. Birds dropping dead out of the sky is a good indication of whats ahead. The moon's upcoming close proximity may not have an immediate noticed effect, but the fault will shift sooner than later.

Many are trying to play down the effect that the moon has on the tectonic plates of the earth, but look at the effect it has on the water levels of the oceans!

-MB

This quake is far worse than the one we suffered here,and that was bad enough.There was a fellow on tv here who was saying there would be another ,bigger quake around the 20th of March.Something to do with the phase of the moon.I hope to god he's wrong,as people are still jumpy from the constant aftershocks we're getting.The death toll in Christchurch is at 166,and hopefully that's where it stays.
Japan,being so much more densely populated,has suffered a huge blow,and our thoughts are with the people who are in peril.We have some idea how they're feeling,and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Two quakes on the Ring of Fire. Who's next on the ring?

I can't believe the devastation. Incrdible what nature can do. Never even heard of 8.9 quake before.

Bernd

For those of you of faith PRAY. Some would say the end of the world is near. Lets not debate that here . But for many Japanese folks the end of there life . and survivors the end of there homes , businesses etc. USGS is showing 32 quakes in the are ranging form m5 -m6.8 that was in the lat 12 hours or so . It is not over yet for these folks.
I can not comprehend a disaster of this magnitude. But I can and will pray.Many of the worlds disaster relief agency are on there way.
Tin

The moon is playing a massive part but the primary reason for the earth being wracked right now is the sun. There have been massive magnetic surges from the sun that are reaching all the way to the earth. The effect is slow and delayed but is expected to be massive, but at this point scientists are in the 'watch and learn' mode since this is such a rare occurrence. The sun has been doing some strange things for the last few years with massive activity in some areas and areas of total lack of activity - massive black spots. The magnetic fields are affected - which is affecting the earth. The most activity was on March 4th, so the delay time and extent of the effects is the mystery - now things are beginning to happen but to what extent?

One theory is that the earth will shift poles. That has happened before but before man appeared on earth to 'watch'... That's the old hound dog shaking off the fleas!

BillC

243 earthquakes within the last week
yellow last week
blue last day
red last hour

140_35.gif

Picture worth a thousand words
map from http://earthquake.usgs.gov
Tin

Sometimes I kind-of pick at the Japanese because of WWII and my dad was shot in the leg by a Japanese sniper in New Guinea. Old wounds never heal....but I must say that the Japanese are a very respectable people because there have been no reports of looting in Japan since this disaster. Would that be the case in the US?

BillC

My grandfather fought the Germans in WWI, my dad fought the Japanese in Burma during WWII. I was in Vietnam. The sins of the fathers are not the sins of the sons or daughters. For better or worse we are all on this planet together and the terrible natural disasters which have inflicted the Asia Pacific region over the last few months are a lesson in just how puny our species is.

How we have rallied to help each other in this time of need, without regard for national borders has been an inspiration.

Best Regards
Bob

Tin Falcon said:
For those of you of faith PRAY. Some would say the end of the world is near. Lets not debate that here . But for many Japanese folks the end of there life . and survivors the end of there homes , businesses etc. USGS is showing 32 quakes in the are ranging form m5 -m6.8 that was in the lat 12 hours or so . It is not over yet for these folks.
I can not comprehend a disaster of this magnitude. But I can and will pray.Many of the worlds disaster relief agency are on there way.
Tin

I feel that I must take you to task over your "praying".
There is a grievous error in your Logic/Belief System.
According to your Belief System, there is an alleged omnipotent being who created everything, knows everything and controls everything.
Why then, would this 'alleged being' create Tectonic Plate Movement and the subsequent death & destruction which follows such Movement?
Now you are using this Forum to exhort Fellow members of this Forum to "PRAY" to this alleged being ???

My contention, and that of science and many other intelligent minds, is that your god, to whom you pray, does not exist.

I am not a moderator of any of these Fora - just a Member interested in Model Machinery, and have joined with that interest in mind. I am not interested in the unsubstantiated religious delusions of other members and strenuously object to anyone telling me to "PRAY".

Now that's so close to the border of offensive that it ain't funny - Tin did not 'tell' you to pray, what he said was .... For those of you of faith PRAY.[size=10pt][/size], and I can find nothing wrong with that comment, especially in the context of the current situation.

imagineering-

The service that the Owner of this site provides is invaluable to the modeling community. It is generally considered good forum decorum to refrain from taking such a wonderful and free site "to task".

I feel your comment is unwarranted under these particular circumstances and on this free forum, and I would hope you would cut these guys a little slack, given all the good things they have done, and regardless of whether you agree or disagree with their particular belief system.

Let it go. Life is too short to spend on such things.
Enjoy life, enjoy the hobby, enjoy this free forum and its wonderful projects.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Pat J

If I offend anyone, I apologise.
I maintain however - that this is a Forum for Model Engineering, not religion.

I'm not what one would call a religious man, but I DO find your comments highly offensive. If the mere mention of someone else indulging in their faith and exercising a freedom bothers you to such an extent, perhaps you should learn how to ignore rather than attack. If you feel that suggested option steps on your toes.... relocating those toes is also an option.

Steve

Back