Ductile Cast Iron

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMaie

Reaction score
I heard somewhere that ductile cast iron was once used in the manufacture of items like crankshafts. But being that crankshafts are subject to high stresses when in use, wouldn't cast iron be more subject to breakage? Granted, when building a model engine which will not be subject to heavy use, modelers can get away with using materials not normally suited for the moving parts of an engine. Case in point whenever my dad builds models he almost exclusively uses 12L14 alloy free machining steel for the cranks and the cams.

Ductile cast iron is more like a steel thats why its used for things like crankshafts and axles, unlike regular grey cast iron it is far more resistant to cracking.

As for models my 2" scale traction engine has what we call SG (spheroidal graphite) iron crank and front axle, this is a ductile iron. I also have a hit & miss engine to make where several of the parts are again cast in ductile iron.

J

We use Nodular Cast Iron for Compressor Con-Rods and Crankdisc for many years during my time with Ingersoll-Rand. Gus retired in 2001 and today ductile iron is still used. Not too many of our suppliers can make good ductile iron.

Latest posts

Back