Drill point gage question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd0afk

Reaction score
I bought a drill point gage for sharpening my bits and tried to figure out the protractor on it. Is the thing useless as a protractor or am i just missing something?
ForumRunner_20130304_132219.jpg

Maybe I should rephrase the question. Its useless as a protractor for measuring angles under 10 degrees, right?

I use drill point gage every day. but never use the protractor part. just spent the extra couple dollars for a usable protractor.

By the way, I was always afraid to sharpen my own drill bits without a drill doctor but after watching a few vids on YT I decided it didn't look so scary, so I gave it a go. I didn't have the drill point gauge so I took care and sharpened a 3/4" silver and deming bit I burned the corners on drilling some 304. I checked the bit as soon as I got the gauge home and I was off by less than 1/64th. I touched it up and it's spot on now.

very easy to sharpen drills...keep point centered, same angle on both side. keep it cool. if you burn it with grinding wheel it will weakin that part of drill. also make sure you have clearance so it wont rub more then cut.

Latest posts

Back