Drill chuck taper question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvom

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a small (0-3/16") Albrecht keyless drill chuck on eBay (J1 taper) to use on the lathe. To mount it I ordered a 1J-MT2 arbor from Enco. As it happens, both arrived today. :)

I pushed the chuck onto the arbor, mounted it in the tailstock, and indeed I was able to drill a hole with it. However, afterwards it was still possible for me to pull the chuck off of the arbor by hand.

Is this "normal", or is there some way to make the chuck-arbor connection more secure?

kvom said:
Is this "normal", or is there some way to make the chuck-arbor connection more secure?

For mine its not normal.

You could try and grind a small amount off the base of the J1 just in case its touching the chuck. Also some bearing blue might show up a problem.

Hope this helps ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Be sure to clean and degrease both the chuck and arbor taper. Any oil or grease left on either one will prevent them from seating properly. Also if there is any oil or grease on the mating tapers they may have collected some dust that will prevent seating properly. I use brake cleaner to clean them, then after assembly I seat the chuck on the arbor by tapping the arbor on a solid surface with the chuck facing up. Use something like the end of a piece of big piece of steel or brass to tap against. Concrete will scar the end of the arbor. Doesn't hurt, but looks bad.
Gail in NM,USA

If you freeze the arbor and then stick them together it usually takes a lot of pressure in a hydraulic press to get them apart.

Back