Dream in aluminum

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My goal is to learn to design and build engines for airplanes. Maybe one day it will be an occupation, but now it's not really a hobby as I'm still looking to get a shop setup with tools.

Current project goal is a 90 degree V-12 300cc Lyscholme twin screw supercharged up 9,000 rpm two stroke direct drive engine, mechanically controlled with installation kit. Expected time till running prototype- open ended. Main goal for the present is locating possible parts, refining structure, and of course learning how to accurately machine any part.

I've done some machine work, but nothing that will impress anyone here.

Bite off more than you can chew and swallow hard!

That sounds like a pretty ambitious project. Keep us posted with pictures of your progress

BC1
Jim

WonderousMountain-

Welcome. It's good to have goals. Best of luck.

Regarding: "Bite off more than you can chew and swallow hard!"

Just don't choke when you swallow; you might expire.

-Bob

This is an odd one, but was hoping some of you could help me with a basic question. What American manufactured Mills and lathes are in metric? Metric is better on the old noggin, but I'm oddly patriotic so don't want anything from overseas. I looked but couldn't find the answer in the forum, even though I'm sure it's theres somewhere.

Thx,

Wonderous Mountain

Sherline machines come to mind for table top machines. What size machine(s) do you have in mind?

BC1
Jim

A very ambitious project for sure. Might I suggest the make haste slowly approach. Get the machines you need lathe, mill, saw, bits, cutters, boring head, rotab and on... then take a chunk of AL and machine it to specific sizes within a tolerance of .005, then again to a tolerance of .002, then <.001. The piece should be nothing just practice, drill bore and thread. after that do the same with a piece of steel. Bore 10 holes each an increment of X bigger than the previous, while holding a tolerance of .001. When you can make a shaft a slip fit in one hole and a press fit in another. Time to make something, a lathe chuck key, a hammer, nuts and bolts etc.

Dreams are what plans are made of, Skills, Experience, Tools the way to make them reailty.

Good advice :bow:

The block is estimated 32cm long, still a lot of development to do, but will be satisfied with a V-4. The cylinder size and bank will be the same. Sort of a 1/3 version of the next engine.

There's a moment each day to note the tools and abilities gained since the beginning.
I will probably have to be walked through each step of the way even when fully equipped. Furthermore, my first engine will likely be a single cylinder. About three years into aircraft designing and still only on my third model.... Make haste slowly.

Blessings,

Mountain

I suggest that you start by making a single-cylinder engine. You will learn lot's. Then, you can move up to whatever you want. ?Maybe a wobbler would be nice. It will challenge you while learning.
If you want to fly with eagles, skip hanging with turkeys. Dream!

Welcome Mountain, sounds like you could be taking us for a wild and exciting ride. Wooee

Jim

Hi mountain
Try putting 3 or 4 engines under your belt then avago at your V12.
Start with the Webster first and see how you go.
What u Want can be done I recon, but it will not be easy.
Pete

Ambitious project. Never let anyone say you can't do it. You will
run into negative comments at every turn. Additional tools that
can make your project successful would be a 3d design program.
good luck and never give up.

Thanks for the support guys, put this on the back-burner for a while as I treat a medical illness, but I'm feeling some better.

Probably going with 50cc cylinders, hope that doesn't offend any of you tiny enthusiasts.

Shred some metal for me,

Wonderous Mountain

Latest posts

Back