DIY Tool Maker's Chest

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gus, I never thought about how old it was, over 44 years, when does it become an antique? I sanded it down once years ago and re lacquared it, the dark spots on it are small dents through wear and tear. I used sheet metal for the drawer slides, my father had a home made table saw that I used to cut the ply sheets for the main part of the toolbox. The drawers are made of hardwood with ply bottoms, and have dividers in them. A lot of the tools in it I have had from the start, only ever bought one engineers hammer, although I replaced the handle once. I will pass it on to one of my sons when I have finished with it.

I'm looking forward to the day that you come over here, I'm sure that we will get on extremely well, we have similar interests, small model engines and fishing.

Paul.

Doing my best to protect the Fastener Storage Bins and ToolMaker's Chest aka TMC from damage by stray solvent spray while cleaning up H&M Engine.
The Balcony does get some sunlight which would fade out the lacquer coating of the TMC. Will recycle an old towel to cover up when TMC not in use.:D

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

Bought material to DIY multi-drawer Tool Cabinet which would cost me at least S$250 for a cheapy M.I.C. aka Made in China.
Frame less drawers done Same cost S$21 for the cut to size 16mm plywood. Erecting was done with an AirNailer,cordless drill and cordless screw driver and of course the humble hammer. Plywood was cut to size w/o run-outs.
Hopefully by this Friday 9th May completion except surface finishing.

IMG_0643.jpg

Making good progress. All five drawers with slides done. Some fine adjustment required to align and square up drawers and false fronts.
As shown with ToolMaker's Chest sitting on Tool Cabinet instead of work bench would mean ample and uncluttered work space.
Have not decided to lacquer or use Formica Cabinet.The Cabinet top would be best done with Formica. As lacquered top would easily be damaged when shifting TMC.

IMG_0644.jpg

OK. Tool Cabinet done and ToolMaker's Chest moved on to cabinet and work bench no longer cluttered. Come next week will apply clear lacquer to prevent smudging by greasy hands. Drawer Knobs as usual were DIY.Tool Cabinet material cost S$70(US$56) compared to US$150---$300 for the cheapest bought out Sheet Steel Tool Cabinet.

OK. Nemett-Lynx Engine here comes Gus. Seems we have three forum members working on same engine.

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

What I like best about all of this thread is the real work of forum members and their willingness to share their efforts.

Most often, around the traps, I see a lot of "gunna" talk, and not much product.

People learn by watching projects unfold. It is not the only way, and watching doesn't beat having a rip yourself, but it does fertilize the mind.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: gus
Took a break away from the Nemett-Lynx Engine and went back to finish up Lacquering the false front of the tool cabinet drawers which bare plywood and greasy/grimy hands was messing up. Fortunately the "American Walnut Stained Lacquer did well to cover up despite of only four coats. With the Lacquer spayed on, I have fear of messing up the false fronts.

Next on the list would be a mini ToolMakers Chest to store end mill cutters and tools. Right now my milling cutters,tools and miscellaneous is hard to find.Planning one for the lathe too. Will be very busy till Christmas!!!!:cool:

IMG_1245.jpg

Nice work as always maybe some day I will have the time and ambition to build my own. But for now am thank full for my HF tools chest, craftsman tool box.
Tin

Nice work as always maybe some day I will have the time and ambition to build my own. But for now am thank full for my HF tools chest, craftsman tool box.
Tin

Hi Tin.

My crave for a real ToolMaker's Chest is temporary placated with DIY version.
Most likely make a trip to see my two grandchildren in ,Melbourne/Sydney,Australia and also view and buy a real version from H&B. Nearby Paul Swifty's home is one outlet.
Since completing the Chest and Cabinet,tools are easily found.
My end mill cutters and accessories are hard to find. A fix is on the way.
The HMEM Forum serves it purpose well to have us retirees busy doing DIYs.
Having forum memebers' support is so important to keep us going.

P.S.
Planning another (43rd) anniversary trip to Japan and this time to Fukuoka. Will look up craft shops for tools. Time passed so good/fast and happy.

Take care.

Very nice work! Do you have the plans to share?

Hi Gushhnet,

Would love but Gus is another old time folksy carpenter that works with no plans and drawings. My CAD is junk but planning to polish up CAD to draft plans. :hDe:
Was working from sketches and imagination. Plan to DIY a smaller ToolMaker's Chest for the milling cutters and tools.Will practice with the TurboCad to draft
from hand sketches.:hDe:

Was using cheapy Plywood from China. Cheap but poor quality. The top and bottom looks OK but the exposed sides tend to have holes to filled in.Still looking for Japanese Grade.

Tool Chest for Mini Mill.
Time to DIY a new Tool Chest and this time to hold tools,endmills etc. Fishing Tackle Box is about to fall apart.Retrieval of endmills and others made difficult like looking for a needle in a haystack.:rant: Been rack my brains for ideal tool chest.Quick and simple to make. Bazmak
solved my problem. He has the solution as he just DIY one for his new mill.th_wav

IMG_1599.jpg

Nothing much to sketch and all that was required was to come up with some dimensions to buy custom cut plywood.Cost me S$26 for this pile of cheapy M.I.C. 1'' plywood.

IMG_1598.jpg

Hi Barry, The Singapore twin came out and all thats left is put the drawer.

Foto shows the tools used for the job. W/o same job will take donkey years.

Some planing,sanding and putty required to look good.

IMG_1600.jpg

Hi Gus,my goodness you work fast.See you usedproffessional drawer slides
i just ran mine on the base.A few yrs ago i bought a box of slides at a garage sale for $7.When i sorted them out there were 19 sets of various lengths
Ive used them all up except i set at 400 long but didnt use them in order
to keep max depth.I assume the drawer will be to your usual proffessional standard.Mine was buit around the odd bits of timber i had lying around
Keep posting. Regards barry

Hi Gus,my goodness you work fast.See you usedproffessional drawer slides
i just ran mine on the base.A few yrs ago i bought a box of slides at a garage sale for $7.When i sorted them out there were 19 sets of various lengths
Ive used them all up except i set at 400 long but didnt use them in order
to keep max depth.I assume the drawer will be to your usual proffessional standard.Mine was buit around the odd bits of timber i had lying around
Keep posting. Regards barry

Hi Barry,
While milling some past few parts for the Nemett-Lynx,I had problem looking for good endmills among the garbage built up over last ten years. Decided its time to DIY a one drawer tool chest for the mill.
Living in a walkup flat has many restrictions,hoarding odd timber pieces is ''no no'' though I built up a good lot of left-overs from projects.Just manage to keep the '''boss'' happy.
There are timber shops that supply custom cut plywood to your exact dimensional requirement.
Carpentry today is overkilled with cordless power tools. The Air-Powered Nail Gun not shown has just made the hammer obsolete.:rant:
Material for drawer just measured up and will complete today with mill mounted on. And bad mill tool housing gone.:cool:

Single drawer milling tool chest about done and mill placed on top. Will lacquer the false front of drawer to minimise smudging by my grimy/greasy/dirty hands.

Will make separate compartments to hold end mills, tee nuts & clamps and the DIY Boring Head and etc etc.

With the mini mill elevated 6 inches,Gus no longer have to stoop to work the mill.

False front lacquered and first occupant in. ''Majesta'' 4f end mills M.I.T. aka made in Taiwan. Cost a arm and leg over the US$3---10 M.I.C. end mills.

Will put in compartments to segregate.

Barry aka Bazmak .Thanks for the good idea. Plan to do one for the cheapy M.I.C.
Bench Drill which have coaxed to serve me well.

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

Last edited:
Miil Single Drawer Tool Chest completed with tools etc stored in and new drawer knob machined and fitted in.
Looking for end mills and tools from today onwards no longer a hassle. DIY your own drawer knob and pulling drawer in and out is sure fulfilling. DIY Custom Drawer Knobs too. :)
Tool Chest or existing drawer upgrading now next.Looking for Cuttters, QCP,tool holders etc is stressfull when same have no dedicated tool chest.

Also on the list is DIY device to regrind M.I.C. endmills which by now only good for aluminium.Will use carbide mills solely for mild steel or tools steels.The MIC endmills performed badly milling the silver steel cams lobes for Nemett-Lynx Engine.

My carpentry skills is still below par trade school level.:hDe:

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

Last edited:
You can get plans for a machinist chest from ISSUE # 183 WOODSMITH (tm) Magazine's Plans. We sell another set of plans - The "John B. Hetzel" Machinist Chest Plans.

Or...you can find an old chest and restore it. I like to restore the old chests.

image.jpg

Reactions: gus
Hi Gus, great job very proffessional.I tend to rush and cut corners with most
things.Too impatient to get on with the next job.Your in the same boat as
me with limited space so you have to look for any kikely spot and fit something in.Just used my homemade angle plate on the beam engine and using the collet chuck on the lathe more than the chucks.Lathe is going well very pleased
One problem was the gibbs tightening or loosening so bit the bullet and stripped it down as i knew i should have done in the first place.No nasty surprises it seem simple and well made.Clean all the hidden grease off,deburred a few things.Lightly oiled and set the gibbs.Seems OK but have taken dims of the gibbs
if i have anymore problems i will new ones in brass Regards Barry

Latest posts

Back