Displacement oil lubricators

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max corrigan

Reaction score
First posting with a question and many more questions to come now doubt! I recently made a displacement oiler to lubricate the cylinder of a Stuart Turner S50 mill engine, the container is 1/2" i/d and about 2" long in brass it seems to work ok that is to say there is dirty coloured blobs of oil in the exhausted steam from the engine,(i am using steam oil) my query is i have "T" connection on the container cylinder, silver soldered straight on the side near the top! should the straight of the "T" piece have entered the cylinder with a small pilot hole through it,or should the pipe have gone straight through the container without the "T" piece connection, also with a pilot hole in it? and would this have worked better than the setup i have now
ps i did a search on this and only got a very informative lowdown on steam oil
Regards Max.......

Hi Max

I can't answer your question I'm afraid but I am also looking into making a small lubricator to go on my small boiler which will eventually run a small engine. Any chance you can put up a photo of yours. I will be watching this thread with interest.

Cheers

Rich

No40 thanks for your reply, the site you suggest explains everything i needed to know and would suggest other kind people that replied, check it out as well
firebird you will understand my query from this site by bogstandards brilliant explanation and it should help you build the lubricator you require, in my build i have the "T" piece butted onto the oil container without the pipe entering into the chamber!as you can clearly see from bogstandards that it should enter the chamber and be blocked off with a small pilot hole in the tube! saying that my version seem to work ok, and when i work out how to post pictures i will do so, as of yet i have got photobucket and can upload pics onto it, but don,t know what to do then i am sure it can't be to difficult but i have't reached the "n" in novice on PC's yet
Thanks to all who replied Max..........

Sent a copy of a "Model Maker" design to Max via PM, would have sent you one as well Rich but there's no E-mail address, the lubricator screws into the steam chest and the steam feed comes in t'other end, not fastened to boiler as such. PM'd It as it's a published design, although about 1957, but safer that way.
Regards Ian.

Ian could you please send that again i spammed with about 4 others i am sorry i just did not recognise the name
Regards Max...........

with a different name i should have added to above post otherwise it won't get through Cheers Max.............

Hi Ian

Just checked in my profile, e mail address is there ok???

Cheers

Rich

Hi

Iv'e just checked out bogstandards description via the link above. Brilliant.

Cheers

Rich

Latest posts

Back