digital read out cable problem

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loose nut

Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up my new mill, currently installing the digital scales from the old mill onto the new one, and have a problem.

The cable that runs from the Z axis digital scale up to the read out (simple display, no fancy functions) is to short. It has 4 tiny wires in it (0.027" on O.D. of insulation), and I would like to lengthen it. Is this feasible, I would cut the cable and solder a 4 wire extension on to it. Will this effect the data stream between the scale and the display, I don't know how sensitive these devises are, would a change in the resistance of the cable, if I can't find the exact type of wire, make a difference. The wire doesn't look like it's anything to fancy and I do have experience soldering simple circuitry.

Thanks

It's not going to hurt a thing. I've seen photos of the wires soldered in place, as well as some guy who used a small capacitor in place of a battery.... which was also soldered in place. The darned things are pretty tough and rather forgiving of abuse. The wire is basically the same stuff used in household phone cables, with a special end on it to plug into the available port in the reader case.

Steve

Hi, Why cut the cable? Just buy an extension.

Julian

I "acquired" a piece of accordion phone cord today and it is almost the same as the cable (4 strand with same gauge wire) and will self retract as the head is lowered. We don't have anyone in our neck of the woods that sells the cable extensions and having one shipped from the States becomes expensive and has a long wait time but I may order one anyway, just in case.

Hi Loosenut,

I realise you are in Canada but try www.ArcEuroTrade.com or .co.uk

He is here in UK but may ship cheaper to Canada than some of the US suppliers. Best email Ketan at Arc and ask.

Julian.

It's not that the price is unfordable, I just have a problem when the cost to get it here brings the price up to 2 or 3 times what the piece costs.

$14.00 for the part and it arrives at $24.00 to $39.00 depending on the way it is shipped. If you want it in a reasonable time frame instead of a couple of months it costs even more and that doesn't even include Canadian taxes or duties if they are applied (for something that price they may be waived). I'm sure if I search around I can find a local supplier.

If you need some really fine cable to connect your read heads, Have a word with your local Bang & Olufsen Hi -Fi dealer. The POWER LINK cable used to connect the speakers to the main units look to be ideal. You can buy it by the metre, sorry FOOT and they may even have some surplus short "bits".
Regards Ian.

Back