dial guage face

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomrux

Reaction score
Hey
Anybody know an easy way to print out a new face for a dial guage.
I have a long travel guage but the face is in imperial.
It is a 2 inch guage marked in 1 ten thou divisions by one hundred divisions. so that is ten thou per rev
Most of the time I work in metric.

Tom

Hi,
I really don't think it is worth the bother, I also have a 2" long travel imperial gauge and I do the most of the conversions mentally, each thou is 0.0254mm exactly or 0.025mm if you don't want to work to that degree of accuracy, however , you could use a cad program to draw a circle and index it in the software and then print it out, there are some free cad programs available if you Goggle for them.
Regards,

A.G

If this is a treasured indicator ( Interapid, or similar), you could try Long Island Indicator Service. If it can be done, they can do it.

Don't know if this is an easy way or not, but if can draw the face you want at a large scale, say 5 to one, and then reduce the picture in a photo copier or, better, photographically all of the errors in the drawing will be proportionately reduced and the line widths will also get proportionately skinnier and it might look OK. You will still have the issue that the "gear ratio" of the indicator is out of whack with the dial face so it will be really hard to use for more than one revolution of indication. You might also consider getting a really cheap 2" indicator and pirate the face out of it.

You can re-scale the first revolution to any unit you wish, such a picoparsec or kiloAmstrongs but what about the second revolution?

Aftger the first revolution the plunger has moved 25.4 mm, the next major mark will be 26.4 followed by 27.4 etc. minor marks will indicate 1/10 and 1/100 but still offset 25.4mm.

what about trading it for a metric one. maybe someons has a meric one and would prefer decimal inch divisions. we are here to help one another.
Tin

Latest posts

Back