demagnetizing??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed T

Reaction score
Half the stuff in my shop seems to have become magnetic. Pick up a drill bit and you get all the chips it just cut along with it. So, the question is what recommendations do you all have for de-magnetizing this stuff? I have one of the little ten cent store things which is useless. Also, what cautions should be applied in demagging electronic calipers etc.?

First off I am not joking this does work!
Hold it by the cutting end and bang it against your vise - should solve the problem.

Optimal...

Find an old bulk tape eraser at a recycler or whatever. I have one and it does a super job.

Sub-optimal...

Get an old Weller type soldering gun. Insert small tool through copper loop that forms soldering tip. Turn on gun. Withdraw tool slowly to some distance from gun. Turn off gun. If the tool won't fit through the loop, make a bigger loop out of some real heavy-duty copper wire.

Waste of time...

That little plastic thing Rick pointed to (sorry here Rick). I was given one and I've never been able to get it to magnetize or demagnetize even the smallest tool.

In desperation...

Never tried it but heard of people using their welder in a manner similar to the soldering gun. Sounds more exciting than I want to witness.

rake60 said:
You might consider investing in a Tool Magnetizer/Demagnetizer.

They are cheap and work well on small tools.

Rick

Rick, I have two of those and they work great! As you already know there's a proper procedure to follow or it won't work. As a mater of fact I magnetized a Bondhus ball head driver today to zip some 2-56 cap screws in and out several times doing thread checks and test fits. When I was done I demagnetized the tool, it checked out OK (de-maged), and put it away. Its fool proof and very simple to use!

Edit. I get a magnetized drill bit or other type cutter now and then. Its usually caused by dropping it on, or taping it against a hard surface like the vise or mill table. The demagnetizing tool works well to reverse this magnetic problem.

-MB

OK, I'll submit. What am I doing wrong that it doesn't work for me?

mklotz said:
OK, I'll submit. What am I doing wrong that it doesn't work for me?

Hi Marv. I don't know what you are doing wrong. I will post the method I was told to use, and it works for me every time.

Magnetize; Push the screwdriver shaft all the way in while touching the right side of the square opening. When the handle stops it from gi going in any further drag it back out while you continue to touch the right side of the opening.

Demagnetize; Set the tip of the screw driver on the top step and push it all the way in, and up to the handle. Hold that position and drop down to step two, drop down step three, drop down to step four and then drag it strait out along the bottom step.

Works for me. I just did it four times in a row. Its like, magical!

Try it Marv, it should work unless you have a defective one with a missing magnet.

-RICK

rake60 said:
This Ad has the instructions for use.

Rick

Huh! I guess I've been doing it the wrong way all along.

But it works great any way! :big:

-Rick

Thanks all. The little red thing is what I have never been able to get to work. So, now I guess I'll try it using the instructions. Not much adventure in that, but it's worth a try. I don't know though, I may need to redecorate the shop first.

Latest posts

Back