Deep Sea Fishing Rod Holder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am not sure by the time I finished above in a week if it will look like the attached foto. Gus refuse to pay S$500 to have same shipped by DHL from Japan.
Will be using whatever I have on hand and taking short cuts(good excuse --- "custom made by Gus to suit Gus".).Built cost extimated at S$20 w/o labour charge.Thats S$480 saved to buy milling cutters,hand tools,micrometer,DRO,Nano Lathe?? etc.
Very glad I have Makita Bandsaw to fight off procrastination. No more manual sawing with hacksaw.

Hopefully it won't be "Bush Engineering" as they called it in Aussie language.

Bush Engineer Gus.

IMG_1306.jpg

Last edited:
Gus

what you fishing for out there?

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Going for Doggie,Yellow Fin, Mangro Jacks, Groupers etc in Burma Bank off
Burma(now Myanmar) mid Feb 2013 and mid March 2013. The Boss is complaining why two trips. Gus has too many excuses and no good reasons.
Ha Ha.:D

Made one before.A bit crude,simple but effective using odds and ends off cuts aluminium bars. The Thai folks were taking fotos to copy and make their own

:fan: Humidity went up.

Hi Guys,
Hopefully it won't be "Bush Engineering" as they called it in Aussie language.
Bush Engineer Gus.

Gus, A bush true engineer would not stuff about on his verandah with tools, he would simply twitch the fishing rod to any handy part on your boat using fencing wire, a pair of pliers and the famous "Cobb and Co" knot in the wire which is formed in a loop of wire with the handle of the pliers. (and probably just cut the wire off when he returned to port!)

I'm afraid that is my problem, done too many makeship repairs 500+ miles from the sea in near desert 100 miles from town so I don't know much about precision work, much less anything about fishing!

The Cobb and Co knot looks like a horse drawn stage coach that went by that name in days gone by hence its name!

Hi Rod,
Spent too much time(32 years) working with my Aussie bosses in Singapore.Picked up so many "bottle" full of Aussie language. First day "off the street"(Aussie) working with me bosses had me scratching my head.
Gus was taught English "English" by some British teachers.Aussie language sounded like a new language.

When a repair job was badly done. Gus. This is "bush" engineering.

No worry.Mate. Today I can survive in Melbourne,Sydney and Perth. The outback or bush would be challenging.

G'Day.See you .Mate.

Hi Rod,
Spent too much time(32 years) working with my Aussie bosses in Singapore.Picked up so many "bottle" full of Aussie language. First day "off the street"(Aussie) working with me bosses had me scratching my head.
Gus was taught English "English" by some British teachers.Aussie language sounded like a new language.

When a repair job was badly done. Gus. This is "bush" engineering.

No worry.Mate. Today I can survive in Melbourne,Sydney and Perth. The outback or bush would be challenging.

G'Day.See you .Mate.

Yes our language is a funny thing. To become an Aussie Citizen, you have to do a written test. I have a very official looking test that purports to be this exam paper but it is a big joke that has every Aussie in stitches when they read it. One of the questions is:

"Macca, Chooka and Wanger are driving to Surfers in their Torana. If they are
travelling at 100 km/h while listening to Barnsey, Farnsey and Acca Dacca, how many slabs will each person on average consume between flashing a brown eye and taking a slash?"

Loosley translated it says something like: "three men are driving their old Holden Torana to the Gold Coast travelling at 100 km/hr while listening to Jiimy Barnes, Johnny Farnham and AC-DC on the radio, how many cartons of beer will each person on average consume between dropping their trousers and pointing their backside at passers by and ... (I'd rather not say)...."

Once you master that one, you could try question 4

"Explain the following passage: In the arvo last Chrissy the relos rocked up for a Barbie, some bevvies and a few snags. After a bit of a Bex and a lie down we opened the pressies, scoffed all the chockies, bickies and lollies. Then we drained a few tinnies and Mum did her block after Dad and Steve had a Barney and a bit of biffo."

I asked a guy from Brazil with a very thick accent once if he wanted to take the test and we all had a good laugh over it!

Hi to all the Fair Dinkum Mates..

OK. Here comes the first three parts. All from bar stock and off-cuts. At this rate,be rest assured it will not look like the $500 stuff from Japan. Final finished product will look better than "Bush Job" from Crocodile Country, Kakadu,Northern Territory ,Australia.

The trigger lock------socket-------and part of rod clamp.The socket will be skimmed to look good later.

Been a good day. Fair weather.No rain.2 kg Grouper N Snapper in the "Esky". The Rod Holder is meant to hook up 20----40kg deep sea fish in the Burma Banks.

See you Mate.

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

Thanks to RodW and Ken for the tips on Vertical BandSaw. Cut this pile of six 30mm x 10 mm Aluminium pcs to make the rod clamp in 8 mins and not too much to mill off and plenty of energy left.

Fotos shows Rod Clamp and Trigger lock/release Swivel Socket. Quite happy with results But its far away from resembling the Japanese Rod Holder.Will never be. The rod rest and base will be next. Hopefully will be a very well and over done Bush Job.

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

Last edited:
Once you master that one, you could try question 4

"Explain the following passage: In the arvo last Chrissy the relos rocked up for a Barbie, some bevvies and a few snags. After a bit of a Bex and a lie down we opened the pressies, scoffed all the chockies, bickies and lollies. Then we drained a few tinnies and Mum did her block after Dad and Steve had a Barney and a bit of biffo."
Google translate in few passages from more or less all available languages gives the following result:

"As follows: the king of the south and a few bevvies Rockies were evil and biscuit bar is in compression barriers to open Chrissy Morel Barbiano the earthquake in the afternoon. So, after a couple Biff and Barney, Steve's father and mother have also thrown the ring steps."

BTW Gus, interesting project.

The Rod Frame done. The sides were marked and cut in 5 mins and dressed with the mill.
Shown is a mock assembly with rod and power reel. Will take another day to finished up Rod Frame and Rod Support .The rest will be easy to do. That is no brain storming.
From 300 metres,Old Man Gus ,70 young would suffer heart attack bringing up a 50 kg Grouper.

IMG_1356.jpg

Guss, I can see it is starting to take shape. Maybe soon this non fisherman will actually be able to work out what it is you are building! Must be pretty serious if you use it to catch grouper!

Google translate in few passages from more or less all available languages gives the following result:

"As follows: the king of the south and a few bevvies Rockies were evil and biscuit bar is in compression barriers to open Chrissy Morel Barbiano the earthquake in the afternoon. So, after a couple Biff and Barney, Steve's father and mother have also thrown the ring steps."

Jaamie, Google Translate got close but sounds like it needs a bit of retraining!

Should be more like: "In the afternoon last Christmas, the relations arrived for a BBQ, some beverages and a few sausages. After a headache powder and an afternoon nap, we opened the presents, ate all of the chocolates, biscuits and confectionary. Then we drank a few cans of beer and Mum got angry after Dad and Steve had an argument and a fist fight."

Sounds like they drank so much beer they ended up with a headache before the party ended. I can't understand how you guys could not figure that out! :D

The Rod Frame done. The sides were marked and cut in 5 mins and dressed with the mill.
Shown is a mock assembly with rod and power reel. Will take another day to finished up Rod Frame and Rod Support .The rest will be easy to do. That is no brain storming.
From 300 metres,Old Man Gus ,70 young would suffer heart attack bringing up a 50 kg Grouper.

O.K. Fellow Forum Members.
As i emphasised,the finished holder will most likely not resemble the S$500 Daiwa Deep Sea Rod Holder with Gus using off-cuts and Aluminium stock bars.

Rod Holder completed 99.99 %. See foto.The next foto will Gus showing his catch in February and March 2013 and rod holder in action.

For this job,the Bandsaw did all the cutting work.:D:D:D
Hot day again.:fan::fan::fan:

IMG_1360.jpg

I look forward to seeing what you come up with Gus!

Hi Omnimill and forum members.

As I said the finished Deep Sea Rod Holder may not resemble the $500 Japanese Model 100% or even 50% but it was custom made using aluminium off-cuts and bar stock to suit Gus and his pocket and the Giant Groupers in Burmese waters 300 meter deep.

Thanks to RodW and Ken,I got the Vertical BandSaw rigged up vertical.Without which Gus would procrastinate for months before jumping in.Manual hacksaw saps my physical/mental energy.
Here comes the foto of holder with sample in the background.

IMG_1369.jpg

Hey looks just like the picture, only different!!!!

Now for the field testing...
Tin

Hey looks just like the picture, only different!!!!

Now for the field testing...
Tin

Hi Tin,

Field/sea teating scheduled this Feb 17 . Will post fotos of Gus&Fish&Holder when I return home.Thailand/Burma has got very slow net speed.

The very simple/basic Predecessor was sea-tested in 2009.The above is more robust . The first rod holder brought 50 pounder Groupers with great suspense with rod "L ----J" Bent. Shimano Japanese rods are known for their superb strength.

Best Regards

Gus Teng.

P.S.
In April will rebuilt the IC engine which just won't start.

Looks nice and solid Gus. Will you paint it to protect from salt spray?

Vic.

Gus,
Does the rod clamp stay attached to the rod while you are reeling the fish in?

Pat

Gus,
Does the rod clamp stay attached to the rod while you are reeling the fish in?

Pat

I think that what Gus is making is like a downrigger set up, the rod stays in the holder while all the reeling in of the fish takes place, no strain on your back. I assume that in deep sea fishing there is no need to cast the bait out, just lower it down. This way the rod can stay in the holder all the time.

Gus, went out in Port Philip Bay a few days ago to try for snapper, no luck, they must be in spawning mode at the moment. Will have to wait a few weeks. Water was very rough, managed to crack a rib while leaning over the side to thaw some bait in the water.

Paul.

Latest posts

Back