Deep Sea Fishing Rod Holder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gus, just had another thought about your holder. Are you sure that you have your rod in the right way around. The way it is in the picture, the grip below the reel will tend to want to lift with a big fish. If the rod was the other way around, with the clamp below the reel and the rod above the reel resting in the padded "U" shape, the rod would be better supported. I hope that I have explained it properly.

Paul.

Looks nice and solid Gus. Will you paint it to protect from salt spray?

Vic.

Hi Vic,

Rod Holder used for 5 days per annum. There will some very slight corrosion but a good wash seems and WD 40 seems to work. The first generation holder been used for last four years. A bit tarnished but corrosion kept at bay.

You are right.Need to paint. I know nuts on marine aluminium painting. your expert advice appreciated.

Noticed the anodised al. fittings on the boat stood up weld. Will talk to the local anodising people. Your feedback wanted.

Now thinking of making a 3rd genertion holder.Having a BandSaw sure made me more productive.

.Need to paint. I know nuts on marine aluminium painting. your expert advice appreciated.

I painted a lot of aluminum you need to prime with a zinc chromate etching primer then a two or three part urethane.
anodizing is an option.
Tin

Sea Trial. February 18----22nd.
The rod holder performed superbly. Some of the vital fasteners used to secure the hold clamp and base though would take the strain of fish hitting the bait and fighting all the way up but seems a wee bitty inadequate though so many small and big fish were brought up by the deep sea game rod.Alumimium bars selection proved sufficient.:D
Foto------1 shows bait being hit and big fish hooked.
Foto------2 shows the double strike. 22 lb Grouper and 18 lb Red Snapper.:D

Gus won the wager for the biggest bottom fish landed.:D

Deep Sea Rod Holder performed up to par with the Daiwa Rod Holder though my holder looks "Bush Engineered"

Bad news.
The Daiwa Holder fell into the sea and and retrieved by the safety line because of the inherent bad design of the clamps which have poor clamping poor.:rolleyes:Whereas my clamps securely clamped rod holder to gunwale.

The next improved generation rod holder would be done in time for 2014 Burma Bank Trip.This will have rod swing-lift w/o having to remove rod from rod clamp to boat fish.

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

The latest version with rod tilt and swivel done and tested March 17----21.
No longer having to remove rod from holder,the rod can be tilted to near vertical to bring line and fish.
Landed mostly medium size fish and lost three line breaking big ones.250 lb leader gave way.
The biggest landed was a 14 kg Dog Tooth Tuna.
The swivel and lock pin gave way and will be redesigned and done by end 2013. Gave away a second generation to a mate.One more to give away.Gus has too many.

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

Latest posts

Back