Deckel clone U2 Tool and cutter grinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess that I am much older than most but amongst other things, that I am quite clear about the origins of things like the Deckel and its later derivatives. It may NOT agree with other concepts but
I can go back to the original Deckel which was NOT a so called universal cutter grinder but a tool for nothing more than grinding SINGLE LIPPED ENGRAVING blanks. Nothing more and the odd collet to do the holding.
I tried to buy one at the local college where tool grinding was carried out on "Mark 1 Clarkson' on which the Blackgates Stent was based- first as a short bed then later as a long bed.
I have an all welded one- so there.
At that time there was NO homworkshop milling machine es until Ned Westbury brought out his mill/drill- which I built mainly from poor college castings but a headstock which came from Precision Models- under the Forth Road Bridge--- where my very fancy castings for the exotic Potts products were obtained. No argument I still have most. PM went to Hemingwaykits and I believe that they hold rather more tooling than they advertise! They hold the Quorn castings etc originally from Model Engineering Services with Ivan Law as proprietor, Mr Law was associated with Arnold Throp pf Dore Engineering and there was the Kennet which is the forerunner of the Worden. Again, I have BOTH.

So the Quorn came from D H Chaddock who was the Principal of Loughborough College who lived in a little town called Quorn. Obviously because it ground corn into flour. Me on the Hebrides and Orkney-- there was a millstone in one of the family weekend cottages near to Rumbling Quern on the Nortumberland coast.
Chaddock seems to have taken the college Deckel home and extensively modified it. He was building a V6 engine and the Deckel was quite unable to make the 1/10 th diameter home made milling cutters -- to do the fins. DHC could make the cutters- but not sharpen them.
By 1973 or so, the Mark one Quorn was doing all sorts of things that today's Deckel clone cannot do. I have one.
I have no idea when the Stent originated but the now Canadian ;Tinker' was being developed--- just about next door to the Late John StevenMBE abode. I guess that BaronJ has a set of original castings! Just a guess.

So that is more or less the history with. the Quorn in a 3rd version and still being developed.

I have a Mark 1 and a kit for the Mark3.
I also have a set of plans for the original Brookes- I think.
Hopefully this will go someway to clear up misconceptions which have arisen.

Good afternoon to all,

Whilst I have been a member for quite sometime, I have not posted anything for a while.

As for the Quorn, About 2005(more or less) I was keen to get myself a Quorn, and after searching around and talking with model engineers here in Australia I purchased a part complete machine. When time allowed and whilst working on a Foden Steam Truck, I completed it when I could. It has not had much use, mainly due to the complexity of setting up, etc. and some different projects.

I note someone is needing books - I have the following: but they are only photocopies.

DH Chaddock "Operating instructions for the Quorn Tool and Cutter Grinder" Modern Engineering Services 1975, 29 pages

DH Chaddock "Quorn Tool and Cutter Grinder" Model Engineer 1974 - 1986,

-------- (nd) Set of Technical Drawings for the Quorn Tool and Cutter Grinder. 16 A3 Pages

DH Chaddock (1984 "The Quorn Universal Tool and Cutter Grinder" Argus Books. Hemel Hempstead. 128 pp.

To the Editor Home Model Engine Machinist:

I have a short article titled Thread Checker where I present a simple device that will facilitate the identification of nuts and bolts from random collections.

I will try and send it, but should it not arrive I may have to have some help.

Yours sincerely, Heritech.

Justine
In the UK, the cost of the plans and operating instructions are about £65. I recall Martin's models in the USA
Most mark 2 ones should be easily converted as Mark3's

AS I have a working Mark 1, , I am sort of adding the newer Mk3 bits to it- as they are machined.
Lots of pieces especially in the Mark2 remain unchanged.
It's all possible but I've seen all sorts of Quorn over the years

Best Wishes

Norman

Hi Guys,

There have been a number of TCG designs produced, all of them excel at particular facets of Tool & Cutter grinding in one way or another !

There is the rarely mentioned "Collier Caseley" TCG. Basically a miniature lathe designed for grinding cutters, drills and the like. Then there is the "Raymac" which is very similar to the "Tinker" with a purpose built wheel head rather than using a DE grinder like the "Tinker" does.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

There have been a number of TCG designs produced, all of them excel at particular facets of Tool & Cutter grinding in one way or another !

There is the rarely mentioned "Collier Caseley" TCG. Basically a miniature lathe designed for grinding cutters, drills and the like. Then there is the "Raymac" which is very similar to the "Tinker" with a purpose built wheel head rather than using a DE grinder like the "Tinker" does.

This information then begs for this question: which TCG excels at what?

An accompanying question likely would be - - - - this TCG excels at this does processes x y and z reasonably and 'sucks' at a and b for information.

This accumulated information would enable one to chose the version best suited to one's needs.
(Would seem that sometimes more than one might also be needed - - - - grin!)

Well - from experience so far, a U2 / Deckel / Alexander type is not much good for end mills with shanks over 7/8, and can't (I think) be set up for 6 flute cutters without clouting the 'next' tooth. I've just about managed to use it for 2 flute slot drills with 1" shanks using the odd R8 1" extended collet mentioned up thread, but it is not easy to do anything except the final sharpening of the cutting edges - all the shaping and relief to get those cutting edges in the right place (especially for really badly noshed cutters which might come your way for free, which want the ends cutting off and starting again), I ended up doing freehand with an angle grinder, mostly a fine cuttting disk (I know, I know) and _very_ little side pressure. You could do the same thing even slower with a Dremel.

None of that is likely to be interesting to a model maker, though the freehand approach to get things mostly there is also what I do with the sort of smaller cutters useful at home. If I ever get the new-to-me part-finished Brooks-Stent to work (and I am moderately hopeful there, having spent another night roaming the sheds for useful ingredients) I will add more here to compare the two - but already it looks like the x-y-z approach of the latter, will probably be more flexible than the 'polar' or angular swiveling approach of the former - though the U2 is much heavier and more rigid, and the swivel approach lends itself to most of the motion locked up in use which helps there too. Since I seem to be moving towards something like proper gib screws with the Brooks-Stent, I will probably do it like a miller, end two for general sliding clearance and a middle one with a handle to lock up when needed.

Last edited:
This information then begs for this question: which TCG excels at what?

An accompanying question likely would be - - - - this TCG excels at this does processes x y and z reasonably and 'sucks' at a and b for information.

This accumulated information would enable one to chose the version best suited to one's needs.
(Would seem that sometimes more than one might also be needed - - - - grin!)

I think that the answer is that each variation of TCG was originally designed to do one particular task well, and anything else is adding another level of complexity.

True some machines can handle several different tasks, but it then starts to become a compromise requiring much more thought as to how each one can be accommodated and accomplished.

Here's the picture of the 'long' 1" R8 collet in a U2 grinder. It's at the limit of what you can squeeze in there - the top slide has to be backed off more than it really should - but it works.

Attachments

• IMG_20211104_112707.jpg
    IMG_20211104_112707.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 170

Latest posts

Back