Damage to metal?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd0afk

Reaction score
I have a milling attachment and i can't use it till i get a collet chuck and endmills so I thought I would refurbish the thing. I want to dip it and boil it in TSP to get it ready for painting. The bearing surfaces have been hand scraped. Will paint stripper and TSP harm the surface?

Nope. Just be sure you get some oil or wax on there immediately after stripping or it'll flash rust.

Nope. Just be sure you get some oil or wax on there immediately after stripping or it'll flash rust.
I didn't think it would. I plan on toiling it right away and then painting battleship grey.

How long do I have before it flash rust and how would I maintain a rust free surface for painting? And would Pam kitchen spray work?

I can't say I've ever tried Pam and I'm none too sure that I'd use it. I tend to use Starrett M1, it's a light protectant that comes off in a solvent wash but most any light oil would do for short term use. I wouldn't use something that needs hard work to clean or *anything* with a silicone oil as that stuff just can't be cleaned. Maybe mixing a light oil in the solvent compatible with the paint and spray/brush that on, that way the solvent will be sure to remove it.

Before painting I solvent wash to take the oil/protectant off. After I clean with a solvent I usually use a phosphoric acid and hot water wash (I've used a DuPont paint prep made for auto painting for this) as it etches a little bit and converts any existing rust into iron phosphate. It makes for a great base for a primer. When I'm really serious about the paint I prime with a red oxide primer then use a high build primer to sand before final painting, something I expect to paint again usually gets a couple of coats of paint direct to the metal (unless it's galvanized when I first use an acrylic primer made by Rustoleum for that use).

The thing has scraped surfaces, will the paint prep ruin that?

The thing has scraped surfaces, will the paint prep ruin that?

I'm not sure if it would, but you don't want paint on those surfaces so I'd leave the oil on them (don't strip it from the scraped surface) or mask them and strip them clean after painting the other surfaces. I've cleaned around them and let them take some paint in overspray, cleaning them off with a scraper or razor blade as appropriate.

Boiled linseed oil thinned with naptha at a 50-50 ratio makes an excellent primer for paint on bare metal(after the solvent evaps) and will keep your work from flash rusting until it can be painted.

I let it dry till it is almost tack free. which should be around two to four days depending on the environment where you are.

Latest posts

Back