cutting these threads

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found this photo. I think they are also hex broached and on a hex shaft. I haven't looked yet but can you broached something that small?

ForumRunner_20121226_150104.png

I figured out how I could do it. I would build a machine that was like a miniature lathe with a cariage. Instead of a cutting bit with the work spinning fast under motor power it would be hand cranked with a retractable rotary tool with a profited mill. You would push in on the cutting head and it would engage a screw and you would crank twice, stop where you want the thread to end and pull back. Each piece would be done separate but this would be precise and the action of the thing tune would be like butter.

I just thought about it and when you push the cutter head forward it would lock in place in an index with a pin You would rotate slowly and then when you got to the end of the thread you would lock the spindle in place and unlock the cutter head by pulling up the pin and push it through.

Instead of a cutting bit with the work spinning fast under motor power it would be hand cranked with a retractable rotary tool with a profited mill

That's called live tool. Posting #5.

Nick

Go to Frets.com/machine, He is a guitarist and makes all these, plus more. I am sure you will wish to put his site in your favorites.
Dinkin'

Go to Frets.com/machine, He is a guitarist and makes all these, plus more. I am sure you will wish to put his site in your favorites.
Dinkin'

i dunno if you'll see a way to make tuners but frank ford is a master luthier and has a lot of great stuff on his site for woodworking, basic electronics, and machining.

Interesting thread. I tried that link given Frets.com/machine but it does not work for me. Not sure if it's just me or maybe the site is down or the link is incorrect.

I figured out how I could do it. I would build a machine that was like a miniature lathe with a cariage. Instead of a cutting bit with the work spinning fast under motor power it would be hand cranked with a retractable rotary tool with a profited mill. You would push in on the cutting head and it would engage a screw and you would crank twice, stop where you want the thread to end and pull back. Each piece would be done separate but this would be precise and the action of the thing tune would be like butter.

you could make strait thread with the same form and pitch on a hardenable tool steel shaft in annealed form, cut grooves in it and harden it and use it as a hob to make a gear from the same material and cut a groove in the gear at center height and it may work as a hob to cut threads in the final shaft with the right lead in and lead out... you may need to drive the hob with a threaded shaft geared to the spindle to keep it all timed. i'm not sure how well hobbing works making a screw but it might be easier than making a whole machine to single point it.

Latest posts

Back