Cretor's engine for my Dad

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcar1

Reaction score
I was going through some old files and ran across these photos of an engine I made up for my Dad's 81st birthday. I had forgotten about this engine as after his passing I had wrapped it up and stored it on a top shelf of the cabinet in the shop. Only a small handful of folks have seen this engine as Dad was rather private about such things but I thought that all of you would enjoy a peek. This engine was built from the casting set available from Cole's Power Models and took me between eight and nine months to finish. It runs a treat on compressed air (only once) that was to test it out before the final take apart, clean, and painting. The flywheel is 7" diameter with a pressed on SS rim and the bore and stroke I believe is 1.125"x2.000" IIRC. There is a plaque screwed to the bottom of the base that denotes the occasion and the builders signature (mine). Just like the loving memory of my Dad so shall this engine live on. Enjoy.
BC1
Jim

normal_DSCN0189.JPG.jpeg

normal_DSCN0187.JPG.jpeg

normal_DSCN0192.JPG.jpeg

normal_DSCN0184.JPG.jpeg

bearcar1, what a beautiful engine. I can only imagine how proud and happy your father was when you gave him that engine. What a great memory to have.

WOW!

Beautiful engine Jim!

Rick

Wonderful engine and a wonderful tribute to your father. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

I had forgotten about this engine

I don't see how that would be possible! It's beautiful. No doubt that your Dad was proud of it.

Dennis

Beautiful engine Jim.
It belongs on the mantle for all to see, not wrapped up and put on a shelf in a cupboard.

Hi Jim, that is one quality build. The finishing gold painting accents really set it off. It's nice to have something like this as remembrance.
gbritnell

That's a beautiful engine Jim and what a great gift for your father. :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Beautiful Jim.
I like the detail and the spokes.
What is that one valve? It looks porcelain. How was that made?

Arv, Rick, Bob, Dennis, Jim, George, Phil, and Zee', Thank you all for your complimenting words. Dad would have been proud to know that others have such an appreciation of this engine. I know that he was tickled beyond words when I presented it to him, although he never was much a man for words, I could tell it in his eyes and his actions. I should re-phrase my previous statement about having forgotten about this engine completely although that is partially true. What I intended to convey was that I had wrapped it up and placed it in a safe place out of the way to prevent it from getting damaged. There was quite a bit of life's chaos occurring in the time leading up to his passing, and I did not want to risk any harm befalling it until such time that a more fitting place of honor could be arranged. I am just now getting the fortitude to sort through all what remains of Dad's life and am again reacquainting myself with this old friend and fond memory. I am glad that you all have enjoyed it as well. I thank you all once again. :bow:

Best regards

BC1
Jim

Zeep', To address your questions, the valve is made from brass and has been painted Grampian Grey, I wanted to give some color in that area and as the rest of the engine was already RED, I explored other colors and finally settled upon that. The highlights on the flywheel (except the rim stripe) as well as all of the base trim was hand painted. Actually twice because I was not satisfied with the first attempt and stripped it off, prepped it once again, and was successful on the second go. One of the hardest parts about building the engine that I recall was bending the nameplate casting on the front of the base. It was a bit pricey and there was no room for any errors so I finally wound up making a wooden dummy blank of the curvature of the base, layed out the dimensions etc. on it and proceeded to clamp and bend the nameplate to shape. As an aside, the boss that was cast next to where it says serial number was blank and I used numbered metal stamps to stamp Dad's birth date in that location.

BC1
Jim

Absolutely beautiful engine Jim! Did it take that long to build because of the challenge or was it more like a free time constraint thing?

I've got several more years before retirement so I plan on stocking up on a number of casting kits while the wife still gives me an allowance. ;D I think I'll go looking for this one.

-T

Thanks T', to answer your questions, it was a little of both plus a fear of messing up. At that time, I did not have my shop setup to my satisfaction and it wasn't until later did I acquire my SB lathe, so it was extremely slow going for quite some time. Then there was also the planning and scheming of the plumbing to get worked out. Then the detailing etc., the list goes on and on. Working only a few short hours here and there in the evenings when I could also added to the build duration time. Thanks for asking, BTW, as far as I know these castings and drawings are still available from Cole's Power Models but may I suggest that you call them first to check on if they actually have them in stock before placing an order for them. I also believe there to be one other vendor but do not remember the name. :-[ I remembered seeing one of these at the carnival when I was a small lad and recall the clown operating the crank that turned the peanut barrel. ;D

BC1
Jim

Well done, I bet your dad was beaming that day. It was mentioned above,and I agree, it should be displayed, make a glass and brass case to protect it, and show it off. Nicely done; Tad Wicks

That is a museum quality engine BC1 :bow: :bow: I hope you display it in your collection.I bet your dad was very proud of that. Thanks for showing it. The red and gold was the best choice.
Skeeter ;D

Thank you Tad, Dean, and Skeet'. Yes, I believe that Dad was very proud of this engine. During the course of the build there were many nights spent wondering if I would ever see it to completion in time for his b'day or if I would be able to actually finish it at all for that matter. Through perseverance and determination I was able to present it to him on time. He taught me a great deal of what I know about machine work and this was a way of showing him that I had paid attention to him. The engine in essence is a reflection of his work, attention to detail and love for steam power. One day I will build a proper display case, and I do like the brass trim idea, and yes, I can think of one or two museums that perhaps would be interested in obtaining it for display. Thank all of you for appreciating what is to me a truly priceless memory of my Dad. :bow:

BC1
Jim

Not to put a downer on this thread, but this new practice . Of Museums cleaning out storage or having an attic sale is becoming more common.
Not to dissuade you from donating, anything thing to a museum. But any more you have to be very careful, as most have statements to the effect that you give all rights to the item up. And they have the right to sell the item, with out recourse form the family.

As more and more families are finding that the collections or items of older family members are not bringing the money, or even interest that they once did. Some museums are working with certain dealers for a quick turn around for operating expenses. At a fraction of what the item is worth.

Witness the large auction that the Henry Ford had on their steam engine and collectibles they sold most of the donations and extra's including some pieces that were on display since Henry built the place.

One of the statements was, that they don't need one of every steam tractor built, just one as an example of that type. As we move further away from when people had the experience of the items. Or know somebody that had the items.

The items that interest them are related to their lives, Another statement,from a local small museum curator was what is culturally relevant to the generations is changing.

The other thing is they have no where to store the items, and people what to buy the items, and we need the money. He said that they offer to return the item if the family doesn't want it sold.

So anybody thinking of donating should find out what the museums policy is and get it in writing, as some of the curators tend to move around quite a bit. you want the "MUSEUMS" policy in writing not the curators!

After all at the FORD museum the money makers have been the IMAX theater, Thomas the Tank engine, they are back again this year, and the traveling show on chocolate.

So with such a fine item, hopefully somebody in the family will treasure it, for years and generations to come.

I'm adding this to the post edit: As I was thumbing thru the local fish wrapper they call a newspaper. There is a story about a classic car auction, that is happening in the area.
Free Press said:
Classic car auction to aid Chrysler museum

It is next weekend,
Twenty of the 250 cars that will be auctioned off come from the Walter P Chrysler Museum Foundation which is selling these cars to raise money for the museum. 1904 Overland,1904 Rambler1918 Nash truck,1964 Rambler Coupe

Well don't now if Fiat raised the rent as the museum is in the head quarters building, I do know that GM sold a bunch of their concept and cars form their corporate collection last year.

www.rmauctions.com

Well now, thank you PT, for that auction flyer update. Unfortunately I doubt very seriously if I will be attending what is most likely to be a VERY :eek: high dollar fund raising event.(although I would be interested in that 1904 Overland) I understand what it is you are conveying and I am certain that quite a few unsuspecting families as well as individuals have fallen victim to such practices, but the institutions that I have in mind are genre specific, that is they specialize and focus upon a certain interest group in their activities and displays. Also, I would never merely donate this engine to either of them but have it "on loan" to them with my legal binding ownership having been put into contractual form. Thereby I still own the piece and have the right to withdraw it from public display after written notification has been established or returned to me should the museum find it no longer requires the piece to be on display.

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back