Crane Problem.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stilldrillin

Reaction score

Following on from my earlier posting on lathe problems.......

The following day....... (Yes!).

A pedestal crane tried to spit it`s gib onto the floor!
Luckily, this time the pivot pin bent, rather than breaking, as it had done a year or so earlier.......

Once again, no one hurt, this time......

On the previous occasion, I had looked up in time to see the triangular gib section hit the floor and cartwheel viciously through 360dgrs............

We then realised the operator (a lorry driver), was semi conscious on the floor, with a head wound from the hoist unit!

Not nice........

Two views of the problem....
P3180009.jpg

P3180014.jpg

After repairs...
P3180022.jpg

Frankly, I`m glad I`m retired now, and the master of any of my own misfortunes......

Glad you don't work in my shop, you're a Jonah :big:

These things happen! just not as a rule to the same shop in a week. Im buggered if id work there LOL

Over 46yrs spent modifying lumps of metal, I can recall some 8 or 10 accidents / incidents, only... :-\

But, two in 24hrs was a bit much, at the time! ;) :big:

BLOODY HELL
wow.gif
wow.gif

Just tell me the location so I know where not to go.
mgscratchchin.gif

Best Regards
Bob ;) ;)

It has done this before???? after a second time I would say that this crane is just an accident waiting to happen. Looks like teh rollers on the bottom need some kind of cage that wraps around the post to keep them from kicking out sideways.

Is this a factory built or shop built unit? It looks, to me, that there is a flaw in the design that lets the bottom kick out. If it is a factory built unit -0 the manufacturer MUST be contacted - if at all possible because they may have a fix, or you might find that it has been modified in an unsafe manner - 1 injury so far - I wouldn't trust it enough to give it a next time. One injury could be enough to have someone else take ownership of the sjhop & contents...

kf2qd said:
It has done this before???? after a second time I would say that this crane is just an accident waiting to happen. Looks like teh rollers on the bottom need some kind of cage that wraps around the post to keep them from kicking out sideways.

Is this a factory built or shop built unit? It looks, to me, that there is a flaw in the design that lets the bottom kick out. If it is a factory built unit -0 the manufacturer MUST be contacted - if at all possible because they may have a fix, or you might find that it has been modified in an unsafe manner - 1 injury so far - I wouldn't trust it enough to give it a next time. One injury could be enough to have someone else take ownership of the sjhop & contents...

The crane was installed & maintained by the local crane suppliers, with a stop operating on the rollers. See middle pic.
This allowed the rollers to be forced off the column (twice) by excessive sideways force......

During the second rebuild, the stop was moved to the top of the column.

Stilldrillin ............. I see we are "geographically" fairly close ... ;D ..... are you thinking about the Harrogate Show next May btw ....... OK I digress .... ::)

The main column of the Crane looks fairly substansial however the jib structure, particularly the bottom tie (which is in compression) looks fairly small by comparison ........... what was the safe working load ..... ??? ...... This is just out of curiosity really, obviously this happened a fair while ago and we don't need to conduct another post mortem .......... however the overall theme of keeping people's minds aware of any and all safety issues particularly concerned with lifting equiopment is very worthwhile.

CC

Stilldrillin said:
The crane was installed & maintained by the local crane suppliers, with a stop operating on the rollers. See middle pic.
This allowed the rollers to be forced off the column (twice) by excessive sideways force......

Must be their economy model is it? If it was me, I'd have a substantial retaining ring around the column down by that bottom roller.

I have worked with a similar crane in the past,and it was quite safe,PROVIDED you didn't overload the thing!
Obviously,the crane in the pics was used well beyond it's capacity.It looks like it wouldn't take more than about half a tonne.The crane I used was much more solid than this one,and yet was only rated for 1 tonne at maximum extension.
Some people never learn:(.
Hans.

That is some scary stuff!

I have never had a crane break on me, but I did have one spice up my days once.
I was flipping a part that weighed about 16 tons with an overhead crane.
When it's weight broke over top center, the hoist break failed.
It sounded like a siren starting up and the load was more or less going out of control.
I realized what was happening and hit the up button on the control pendent to try and
slow the decent with the hoist clutch. After it was on the concrete our fork truck driver
said: "Nice save."
He scared the S&%T out of me! :D
I didn't even know that he was there at that moment.
All I knew was I had a whole lot of steel coming down in a limited area of floor space.

Machines WILL fail.
You fix them and move on.

We need to understand that fact!
Just because the machine has done the same thing perfectly for years, doesn't mean
it will do it perfectly THIS time...
There are no "givens" when working with machines.
Think about the worst that could happen and be prepared to react to that.

Rick

CrewCab said:
Stilldrillin ............. I see we are "geographically" fairly close ... ;D ..... are you thinking about the Harrogate Show next May btw ....... OK I digress .... ::)
CC

Hi CC!
I made it to the last 2 Harrogate Shows.

Unfortunately, my feet don`t do concrete floors, (or grass) for long periods, anymore.

But, if I`m still reasonably upright when the time comes, I hope to be there...... ;)

In reading this thread there was know mention of crane inspection which is required by OSHA. The person doing the crane inspection is suppose to be trained in operation and repair of the crane if and when the crane was inspected the person doing the inspection should have repaired it or red tagged and locked it out until it passed inspection. If somebody had been killed and there is no up to date crane inspections OSHA would hold the company responsible and if the person that did the inspection let a problem slide they would be up on criminal charges along with the company. Cliff

Stilldrillin said:
Hi CC!
I made it to the last 2 Harrogate Shows.

No doubt there will be a thread nearer to the time of the next show, so just watch out for it ........ I suspect it could be a good day for meeting a few others 8)

CC

Isn't there supposed to be a bridle that encircles the column so the rollers CAN'T come off the post?

Seems like its missing some parts that could be flame cut in an afternoon.

The owner should be slapped for it.

Dave

CrewCab said:
No doubt there will be a thread nearer to the time of the next show, so just watch out for it ........ I suspect it could be a good day for meeting a few others 8)

CC

I`ll be watching CC.... ;)

Cliff,
All the shop`s cranes & all slings, chains etc were (still are) correctly inspected annually.

This particular crane had been in use over many years, servicing the lathe.
The operator knew his crane, and not to apply sideways loading when against the limit stops.

Both accidents occurred when a lorry driver with no understanding of the of this tried to drag a load sideways.....

Dave,
None of this type of crane, in the workshop has a bridle.

All the regular operators give it no thought & do not abuse their cranes.......

I am sooo glad this was not posted until yesterday ( my time ) i rented a mobile crane Sunday to help move my shop equipment but it was a much stronger setup on a prime mover type rig ( Diamond Rio PM )
a older style rig but a pleasure to use and obviously well maintained ( and not that expencive either!!!)

the rig and the operator was $75 a hour including insurances and fuel and tax! ( wilkinsons cranes from windsor NSW for those in Oz)

the pics posted and the comments about a retaining ring are both scarey and correct it looks a dodgey sort of set up to me despite the operator knowing what the cranes foibles may be you GOTTA count on numbskulls or not "as aware" people in any place or have it locked up until the person who knows it can do the job

my rifling lathe is one such device, if not setup perfectly and all locks applied it will throw the tool head ( about 200lbs with lots of sharp tools on it) across the room in a flat trajectory until it hits the wall or other solid object so i have the power for it under a key system , no key, no power, and the key lives around my neck , just in case
My cousin almost killed my mate when they came to help me move in and setup, he thought it was like a standard lathe and just wanted to look... next day came the key system

hope everyone stays safe out there

cheers jack

jack404 said:
the pics posted and the comments about a retaining ring are both scarey and correct it looks a dodgey sort of set up to me despite the operator knowing what the cranes foibles may be you GOTTA count on numbskulls or not "as aware" people in any place or have it locked up until the person who knows it can do the job

Agreed Jack - anything like that has to be built completely idiot proof, and even then ....

Don't think Workcover would allow a contraption like that on a work site anyway.

Stilldrillin said:

I used to work for a company that built/installed crane systems - that's a really light duty jib, and you said the pick was pulling the crane against a stop - EVERY and I mean EVERY crane I ever worked on had warnings against sideways picks for this exact reason

Stilldrillin,

I counted 5 at the plant where I worked and ALL had a bridle......I don't know, just makes sense to me.....

Dave

Back