Counterweighting with "heavy metal"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father used to make "Shad Dart" lures the old fashioned way: carve a wooden peg the shape you want, poke it numerous times in a clay pot filled with packed earth (i.e., dirt), place the head of a hook in each cavity, fill with melted lead (from various sources) and let them cool.
im not sure what heavy metal ou are referring to. Obviously there is lead nd alloys . Additionally there is copper tungsten . This stuff is really heavy and equally expensive . It’s used in sinking electrodes in edm work. As racers it’s used in long stroker crankshafts generally a pretty good sized hole or holes are drilled in counter weight then slugs are pressed in and tig brazed they don’t come out easily I have not had any for years . Trying to remove it from broken cranks is really hard. It doesn’t drill easily and takes carbide tool to machine. You can buy many pounds of pure lead for what a single puns of copper tungsten costs. I can’t imagine lavishing it on fishing equipment. A you could get a lot of neat equipment for the cost of a couple pounds of “ heavy metal”
Byron

Latest posts

Back