Corner rounding end mills

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Butcher

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have been thinking about adding to the one and only 1/16" corner rounding end mill I have on hand for quite a while. Its small size has been all but use less to me since I can use a few swipes with a file and sand paper to duplicate the results. On a larger radius my hand-eye coordination would cause the work to suffer. Its this very reason why I will occasionally eliminate the corner rounding specified on the drawings of certain builds.

My usual sources such flea markets and estate sales have not produced the elusive corner rounding end mills. These sources do produce a good supply of drill bits, end mills. and chucking reamers. Its hard to believe that there is so much new-old stock stored away and constantly surfacing. Since the typical customers at these events are not HSM types the stuff is literally being given away at times, and ends up in my shop. But NO corner rounding end mills!

It was about time for me to set aside my *frogish ways and buy a set. My hobby does not require my work to be CNC/aircraft quality so I decided that a much lower costing import set would be just fine. After searching the usual sources I found what I was looking for offered on E-Bay.

I placed my bid (BIN) and two days later my package arrived. Seeing the shinny new set put a smile on my face, and they look pretty darn good. A closer look revealed the brand to be "mhc" made in China. Their surface finish is acceptable looking, and whether they will produce an smooth and accurate finish will be discovered when the cutters are put to use. The only minor issue that I had with the purchase is the set is housed on a long block of scrap wood, and not the wood box shown in the picture and listing. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned. This is a typical situation caused by the use of "stock photos" and recycled listings. But shame on them for the mistake.

In the shipment I received their catalog. The name of the Company is "SHARS." After a quick glance at the catalog a lot their prices seem to be lower than most other sources, on similar if not identical offerings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-PC-HSS-4-FLUT...0?hash=item3c9ec58061&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

*Frogish=Tighter than a frogs @$$, when its time to spending money.

-MB

ribbit! ribbit! :big: tighter than a frog's WHAT.? Oh never mind, ;D I have used SHARS several times and there is an outlet nearby. Their tooling is acceptable to the tasks that we require and their pricing is reasonable, certainly not over-the-top as in the name brand tooling. Let us know how those cutters work out for you MB, please.

BC1

bearcar1 said:
ribbit! ribbit! :big: tighter than a frog's WHAT.? Oh never mind, ;D I have used SHARS several times and there is an outlet nearby. Their tooling is acceptable to the tasks that we require and their pricing is reasonable, certainly not over-the-top as in the name brand tooling. Let us know how those cutters work out for you MB, please.

BC1

Your wish is my command. I'll post my findings on their quality at a latter date when I take them on a "test ride". It's said that they can be resharpened, maybe a light honing would improve them if its necessary.

Where is my beautiful maiden "Honey?"
Maybe a kiss from her would turn this old frog into "The Handsome Prince of Machining!"
ribbit, ribbit. ;D

-MB

Back