Coolant System on Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
What is the consensus on using a coolant system on a mill in the hobby shop setting? Is one needed, is it worth it, does it make a big mess? Does anyone have one rigged up (home made or store bought)? I have heard that the mist type just make a such a fog in the shop that after awhile you can hardly see. Waiting to see what everyone else is using.

Thanks again for any and all comments. th_wwp

Look at the blue box on the wheeled stand next to the wall in the first photo. That is a Bijur coolant unit hooked up to a Noga Mini Cool. I keep it on a wheeled stand so as to be able to move it from machine to machine as required. The Noga can be adjusted from a couple of drops a minute to a very fine mist to a steady stream. The Bijur unit acts as the coolant tank and accepts the shop airline. It also contains the regulator for the air. Fine adjustment for the output is in the Noga cool. Adjusted properly, the coolant will steam up on contact with the tool and leave less mess to clean up.
TeddyShopDog002.jpg

bedrailsupports003.jpg

Hi Jack,
I don't use a lot of coolant, but I do use it. Mostly milling steel, it really does help keep the chips from sticking to the cutter. I'll also use it on the finish cuts for steel and aluminum on the lathe. I use Kool Mist 77, a synthetic. My "system" is very sophisticated, just a spray bottle :) Though I've been meaning to rig up a drip system some day.

Kevin

Cutting metal requires a heat zone at the point of separation
to plasticize the material to a level where it will yield to the
forces applied by the tool. That cutting process in on a molecular
level that coolant can not effect. What IS effected is the cutting
tool it's self. Coolant will keep the chip moving and make for a
better surface finish but it has to be all or nothing.
A flood level of coolant will keep the cutting tool cool and do
exactly what you would expect it to.
Anything less than a flood level of coolant will not cool the tool
completely and result in a thermal shock condition that can cause
tool to shatter.

Rick

Back