Controlled air blow

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, this is getting off the wall, but....

The first solonoid I listed is for an air horn on a car or truck, so presumably it is 12 volt.

Then, if you had an intermittent windshild wiper switch and controller from a junked car, or off of Ebay, such as this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and a 12 volt power source....

I don't think you are going to find a pre-made all in one box kind of a solution.

Paulsv.

Thank you, for your efforts it is appreciated.
Too far off the wall for me ;D

Dave

OK, Dave, I've think I've got it this time- an electric automatic air compressor drain valve:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/433741/Intech_MCDV-25-120AVS_Auto_Drain_Valve

It says the off time is adjustable from a half second to 45 minutes, and the on (purge) time is adjustable from 0.5 to 10 seconds. 1/4" NPT inlet and outlet. Runs on 115 volts AC.

The only problem is, it costs $100. But that's from Drillspot, so perhaps you could find it cheaper, or find a cheaper brand.

If this contraption's sole purpose in life is to clear chips etc. from the cutting path of a saw or cutting tool, why does it have to be pulsed. It would seem that a low pressure, high volume of air is all that would be required in order to accomplish the task at hand. Air regulators are reasonably priced. Standard fittings on in and out sides, plug and play, problem solved.

BC1
Jim

Paulsv,
What a star :bow:

That's the sort of "thing"

Thank you very much. I know what to look for now.
I'm sure I might be able to find something more reasonably priced especially if the max psi drops to 100 ;D

Thanks
Dave

Interesting discussion.

To be honest, never heard of a thing like that.
The part of the discussion that I find most interesting is the fact that nobody asked: What do you need that for?!

Purely out of kind interest and my own curiosity: What do you need that for?

I think that in reply #10 he answered the what for-
No it 's fine - exactly right tiny bits from 1.5 -2mm dia mills, they can and break the bits.

Can do it manually bit tiresome.
I tried asking my wife but she gets bored after an hour or so. Tried a foot switch hopeless kept on getting kicked under the table, by the time I got down and up again another bit hit the wall.
Fred

Hello Fred,

I could use one of those but not for this. ;D I just want to use the air to clear the tiny chips away from the cutting area.
I quite fancied giving a "puff" of air every few seconds.

I thought something might be readily available but seems not, at least not for $20

Dave

Hi stevemac,

That would do, if only I can get my wife to stand there for an hour or so. ;D

Thanks
Dave

What is the pupose of the pulsation? Is it kind of an agitation thing where the turbulance helps to clear the chips?

The reason I ask, is there may be an easy (and cheap) way to get that effect. I was thinking about the whistles that have a "pea" inside that makes the warbley sound when you blow them.

What about a chamber with a small ball in it that would "whoosh" around periodically (almost) blocking the outlet port?

C-o-C attached. It would be dead easy to machine, I think. Dimensions not critical. Mostly you'd have to make sure the ball could almost, but not quite seal the opening. (If it completely sealed it could get stuck by the pressure, LOL.) I'd probably use a plastic ball, like maybe a golf ball but smaller?

Warbler.jpg

TroyO,

That sounds interesting but I wouldn't like it to make a noise.

I think I need a pulse of air about every 3-5 seconds.

Dave

Dave,
Are you familiar with pop safety valves used on steam boilers. When the pressure reaches the set point they open and stay open until the pressure drops a preset amount.

If you fed a small tank, say one inch diameter and 2 inches long with a needle valve from your air supply and put a pop valve in it for an outlet then the pressure would build up in the tank until the valve lifts. The valve would discharge the air to your blower until the pressure falls and the valve seals. The interval between "puffs" would be set by the needle valve controlling how fast the tank recharged.

Simple pop safety valves are easy to make and for air service you can use an o-ring for the valve seat so no high precision parts are necessary. You might have to make a couple of plungers for the valve to get the on time for that you want, but that is only a few minute job.

Needle valves are often used for flow control valves for ice maker hook ups and are available in local hardware stores here in the USA.

Gail in NM

Hello Gail in New Mexico.

I think you are very clever, I know I'm clever ;D

I was thinking along the same lines so we must be clever ;D

I have an old brass 3'' boiler I was thinking of using. I just have to modify the safety valve. I am going to remove it's function altogether or get it to work at say 30psi and place another one closer to the outlet to pop off at 10-20 psi. It will be easier to adjust if I can incorporate it in the air line.

Just goes to show how great minds think alike ;D

I can't understand why only you and I thought this way. ::)

Luv ya

Dave

Hi Techonehundred,

I think you need stepping on Rof}

Just joking,

Seems too much like hard work that.

Dave

How come no one came up with

"Puff the magic dragon" Rof}

Dave

DaveH said:
How come no one came up with

"Puff the magic dragon" Rof}

Dave

Because he 'lived by the sea' and the salt air would be no good for the machinery.

The actual piece of equipment you are looking for is called a Pneumatic Pulse Generator.
We used these things a lot back in the horrible days of 'Pneumatic Logic' when cheap PLCs weren't an option, or where control was needed but there was explosion risk from using electrical control signals.

Still available now, but no idea what the cost might be. Also may or may not be suitable as the actual pulse length is very short, although the pulse interval is quite widely adjustable.

Couple of PDF links for reference here, but googling with the right term (as above) will no doubt provide lots more information.

http://thetimerandcountercompany.com/images/uploads/pdf/53K49.pdf

http://www.boschrexroth.com/pneumatics-catalog/content/internet/en/pdf/PDF_g92767_en.pdf

Peter

Latest posts

Back