Controlled air blow

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaveH

Hello all.
I am looking for a compressed air controller (Not sure what it is called).

What it does is provides air in 'puffs' at regular intervals. ie. every 5sec .......20sec which can be set.

And I think (not too sure) that it is possible to set the psi.

Working pressure Max 40psi

Any one seen one or got one?

Dave

Let me reword it, may make more sense.

Something that I can put in an air line hose that will automatically give a small blast of air (say) every 10sec.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Dave

I don't. I have used pnumatic valves, though... they let air pass when electricity is hooked to it. Maybe you could do a simple electronic circuit to control one of those?

I can probably help find a circuit if you are interested in going that route.

TroyO

Thanks for your reply.
I am not big on electronics or pneumatics.

Would it help if I explained what I wanted to do?

Dave

I understand what you are saying Dave and Im as guilty as anyone. Simply if I dont know, I dont post. Therefore YOU get no feedback and that IS frustrating. Its part of the 'dark' side to this sort of communication (keyboard). No non verbal feedback.

Its also the same way silly arguements break out where they certainly wouldnt face to face..... its all about tolerance and patience..

I have no idea abut teh valve you are describing but Im sure some on here have some ideas.

I'm only joking ;D

At one time I thought I was all alone :(

Dave

See? Im back after only seconds of thought..and when I finish you wil see why it was only a fews seconds of thought... ;D

You want air supply to blow bits away with a pulsing effect? Take a gate valve or ball valve, grind away the stops so it can rotate (free it up if you have to internally) and zap up a small pair of pulleys (on your lathe) using an o ring to drive and mount a brushless motor with a 12 volt power supply... speed controller if you want.. etc etc

See, told you it was only a few seconds of thought...

Artie thanks mate

Just explain please again after "you want.......... :big:

No it 's fine - exactly right tiny bits from 1.5 -2mm dia mills, they can and break the bits.

Can do it manually bit tiresome.
I tried asking my wife but she gets bored after an hour or so. Tried a foot switch hopeless kept on getting kicked under the table, by the time I got down and up again another bit hit the wall.

I need help lots of help

Dave

TroyO

My appologies have posted back twice to you, both seem to have disappeared.
Let me just say thanks for your reply.
I'm not into electronics, pneumatics even less!

I just thought there would be something I could perhaps even make. Just to pulse the air to get rid of the tiny bits from the milling.
Holding it is a bit tedious to say the least.

If there is nothing then I will just go back to be grumpy.
At least being grumpy makes me happy :big:

Dave

Run one of your larger engines on air and pipe the exhaust to where you need the pulsating flow.

Stick a hose on an ear syringe and pulse it with your mouth or foot or a wooden cam driven by a windshield wiper motor.

Arrange a constant air flow from a compressor with a fan-like device in the flow path to periodically interrupt the flow. Drive device motor at low speed.

Hire a bugler who can play reveille and pipe his horn into a hose. :)

I like the engine exhaust idea. Now we'll all have the answer when someone asks, "what's it for?"!

Marv
That looks good could get that to work :D

Only thing is where will I get a bugler from?

Dave

mklotz said:
Hire a bugler who can play reveille and pipe his horn into a hose. :)

Better yet, hire a bagpipe player :hDe: There's all kinds of pipes sticking out of those things that you could hook up an air hose too.

AND a side benefit is you can be entertained with bagpipe music and keep an underemployed bagpiper employed !! Rof}

Mike

Paulsv,

What I was wondering isn't there a box with a timer knob on (say 1 - 100 sec) that I can plug the air hose in one side, and the pulse of air comes out the other side?

Dave

As far as I see it the pneumatic timers we use are either time to on or time to off, I can`t say I have ever come across a one that does both. So if you had a time to on valve the valve would get a signal then wait the set amount of time till it switched and opened the valve to allow air to pass, this valve would need the signal then taken off it to allow it to reset itself and start the cycle again. Time to off is obviously the other way round.
The easiest way round it is to find a slow rotating part(leadscrew ?) on your machine and fit(glue, screw, tape ?!) a small cam on it, that way you could use a common 3/2 roller operated valve to give a blast of air as desired. Hope this helps.
MartinH

mh121

I appreciate your help, seems I will just have to do without one.
So I will go back to being Grumpy!

Dave

Latest posts

Back