Collett adapter for 3in1 machine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1493

Reaction score
Attached are photos of an adapter that I made so that I could utilize a collett set on my Smithy three in one machine. The spindle is a MT4 and the collett set is MT3.

I cut a piece of 12-1.25 all-thread 0.625 inches long and then bored and threaded a hole 0.375 inches deep for a 6-32 thread. This was installed in the end of the collett holder.

I ground off approximately 3/16 inch off the end of the tang on a MT3-MT4 adapter to remove most of the hardened section. I then bored a 0.375 inch hole through the tang.

I bored and threaded a hole 0.375 inch deep for a 6-32 thread in the end of a piece of 3/8 inch all-thread that would act as the drawbar.

I cut the head off of a 6-32 socket head screw and glued it into the end of the drawbar with Locktite.

I made a stepped washer from a piece of 1 !/2 inch aluminum round stock to support the drawbar at the outside end of the spindle.

I installed this on my machine and tested it for concentricity by putting a 1/2 inch mill in a collett and checking it with a DTI. The runout was 0.0002.

I made the drawbar removable so that I could use a wedge to remove the collett holder from the adapter.

Smithy 003.JPG

Smithy 004.JPG

You could "sacrifice" the adaptor and cut the back portion. That way you could use the full diameter draw bar.

I considered that but I was concerned that it could be difficult to remove the sleeve if it got stuck.

Latest posts

Back