Collets for X2 Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmshep

Reaction score
I am considering an ER collet system for my X2 with 3MT spindle and any advice would be welcome.

I already have an auto locking chuck for threaded cutters but now want a bit more versatility and would prefer not to have to change chucks so offten when drilling and using plain shank cutters.

The questions I am asking myself are:
Which series do I go for - If I went for E32 I would have a good range of sizes available but I doubt if I would use any thing over 13mm on the X2
This being the case would the smaller size of say the ER25 holder be an advantage?
Some suppliers don't do ER25 and smaller series in MT3 is there a good reason for this?

Finally any advice on where to get them from - I am obviously looking for good value and note that there are some from HK on eBay that are considerably cheaper than UK prices. Without going overboard I would rather buy from the UK but it would be interesting to know if anyone has experience of the eBay offerings.

Regards John S

Can't really comment on the ER's, but I recently bought a set of 7 metric no.2 morse collets from HK via Ebay - about 10 days delivery to Oz and I can't fault 'em. Seven collets for the price of one locally? Like you, I prefer to spend local if I can, but you can't pass up those sorts of savings.

I bought my er collet set when I bought my x-2 in 2001. It was the only tool holder I had for quite a while other than the drill chuck that came with the mill. I will say they work well tools are held concentric and tight. the downside is that the one I have uses lot of z Axis space about 2 -3/4 inches 70 mm or so. Using a 3 mt collet saves virtually all of that room. IIRc the 3mt collet set I bought was about 1/2 the cost of the er set.
A 3 mt ER32 set from littlemachine shop .com is $160 a set of 3mt collets is $ 100 these are both 11 piece sets up to 3/4 inch
Tin

I'd suggest go bigger rather than smaller if you have the option, ie the ER32 system. Depending on the accuracy you need ebay collets may work for you, they can be spot on or they may have 1 or 2 thou TIR.

For guaranteed accuracy at a reasonable price, deal with Frank Mari of Maritool.com. They have the full rang of metric sizes and even genuine imperial sizes. No association, just a satisfied customer.

Personally I'd go for an ER 32 series if it's on a No 3 Morse, the only disadvantage is the size of the nut fouling the work with small cutters.
I get away with this by holding an ER11 collet chuck in a 16mm collet in the ER32.

Arc sells these and they are reasonable priced and very handy. I have even made a spring loaded engraving tool out of one that works brilliantly even on non level material.

You can then also hold the ER11 in the lathe for holding very small work up to 7mm

ER11-Collet-Chuck.jpg

This pic is out of date as they now have a far smaller nut on the end.

Go for the 32 mm ER collets, you never know when you'll need that extra large sized collet.

Follow J S's advice, you can't go wrong.

I got an ER25 Set for my X2 ................ from (RDG) and whilst it's been plenty big enough, with hindsight I ought to have got the ER32 as I also now use them in a collet chuck in the lathe, the bigger sizes would have been useful.

Oh well, I suppose I can always by individual R8 and MT3 collets for the additional sizes I'm missing .............  :(

I bought a chuck from Here and for the price I'm quite happy with it.

CC

I've just ordered myself the er32 collet chuck for my X2 from Hong Kong too.
Once it arrives if I'm happy with the quality I will be buying their full set of collets too as I can get the full set for the cost of about 4 locally and thats including the postage!

Thanks to you all for sound advice.
Tmuir - a good ploy to order just the chuck from HK I may follow suit unless you let us know how you get on.

Latest posts

Back