Coles Hit & Miss Construction

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra428

Reaction score
I need to learn how to take better pictures if I want to be in this group
Sorry for the blurrs. I think I need to switch to Macro Mode for these kind of shots
Please bear with me while I learn to be a photographer
th_IMG_0068.jpg

Side View-
th_IMG_0069.jpg

Hit and Miss Stuff
th_IMG_0070.jpg

Rear View
th_IMG_0080.jpg

Front View
th_IMG_0082.jpg

Size View (6" calipers)
th_IMG_0081.jpg

Is he crazy? He's going to make a gas tank out of plumbing fittings? Yes I am! A real pain to machine the stuff though. I put opposing lips and figure to cover seam with brass strap. Then bring to the high Bling polish!
th_IMG_0083.jpg

Ignition system, S/S wysiwyg board, MJN coil and 4.8v NiCad
Tried it the old fahion way with a cap across the contactors (points) but NG

I'll try my hand at the macro mode on the camera and see if I can't clear things up!
TonyR

Well, I have a kit AC Cobra from Contemporary that I built 15 years ago. First motor made 465hp 485 torque cast iron block al heads and manifold orig rods. A rod let loose 2 years ago. Had to have a new mill made. Shelby al block better rods pre punch to 462ci dyno says.....500hp 535 on the torque. Still have to put it in, just got it back about a 2 mons. ago. 1st gear goes to 90 and you are there in 3 sec.
I have floated peoples knees to their chest while they where screaming!!
I'll have to post pics
Whats up with the 396?
TonyR

cobra428 said:
Well, I have a kit cobra from Contemporary that I built 15 years ago. First motor made 465hp 485 torque cast iron block al heads and manifold orig rods. A rod let loose 2 years ago. Had to have a new mill made. Shelby al block better rods pre punch to 462ci dyno says.....500hp 535 on the torque. Still have to put it in, just got it back about a 2 mons. ago.
I'll have to post pics
TonyR

Very nice toy. Cudos on the 428. Most people opt for the modern, crate 351 or 429. Looks wrong.

Man worse that that they put in a 454!
This motor looks more like a side oiler it has the cross bolt mains
Tony

All of that automobile stuff is fine Tony but what I'd really like to hear more about is that H/M. Great looking model even if the pics are just a bit blurry. Gives some of the skinny lowdown on how you made it etc. Curious minds need to know these things.

BC1

BTW: that is the 'small' version is it not?

cobra428,

That is one very nice looking Hit and Miss :bow: :bow:

I agree with BC1 especially as a Hit and Miss is my next planned project. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Your right, this is not a car club!!
Back to the hit and Miss,
Yes, that is a Coles Small Hit & Miss. All of the machining is pretty much straight forward. There are 2 cams to make 1 goes on the crank for the contactors the other on the timing gear for the exhaust. The cams are not "egg" shaped. They are like an egg with the long sides flat. I have gotten it to run but vibration was an issue. I used my model airplane prop balancer to balance the crank, flywheels, rod and piston as an assembly. I will take some pics of that set up. It worked out very well. I haven't run it since the balance but I use my airplane starter motor to spin it up with no head and there was little to no vib's. Minimal amount of bar stock required steel and brass nothing
exotic. It needed some tweeks on the contactor mounting (I'll post pics on that) simple fix. I used Tool steel for the crank and brazed rather than the CRS and silver solder they called for. 1" bore x 1.25 stroke 5.25dia. flys
Any thing else you want to know fire away!
Tony

Thanks Tony for that info, By all means post up some pictures th_wwp of your progression. I have two complete sets of these castings sealed up on the shelf. It seemed as though Cole's was having some difficulties locating a foundry to do what they wanted and it was over a year before they were able to fill my order. It was ugly to say the very least. It turns out they could/did not have the rocker arm castings made anymore, how did you fabricate yours? I really would like to see how you did some of the setups etc. on the base and cylinder castings as well. Way cool 8) little engines that to me are the perfect size for most home shops to handle. (at least mine anyway) When you get time, again please show us inquiring minds how/what you did. T'anks

BC1

BC1
No Problem, your right about the rocker arm casting. I called them when I got the kit and said you forgot to give me the rocker arm casting. They said they where sorry and I would have to fab from the piece of brass they gave me. I will practice my picture taking and see if I can't put out some detailed pics soon. Basically I made a straight one then bent it to shape.
Tony

Yeah, that is pretty much what I was told as well. I was dealing with Rich and he was cool but I still felt that Cole's overall response to the problem was lacking a bit of concern at best. I kept a log of the over three dozen phone calls and several letters I sent them wanting answers. After well over a year I finally got the remaining castings and was even sent several extras as they filled the entire order twice by mistake. I wanted to keep those pieces but thought better of it and sent them back. Not so much as a thank you or a KMA in response. I have not ordered anything from them since. It is too bad to as I have receipts from when my Grandpa ordered castings from them back in the early fifties, so we had been doing business with Cole's for a long time. Anyway after all of that BS, I lost all of my motivation to build them and sealed them up and put them on the shelf. I notice on your model Tony, that the water tank has a funnel mouth of sorts on it. Did you fabricate that or is that how you received your castings? Both of mine merely have a circular opening in the top of the tank.

Hi BC1,
The funnel thing, I saw a pic on the back cover of Model engine builder mag of a similar engine that had that funnel. I liked it. So I measured up the hole and the height drew some lines on a piece of Al round stock and off I went! I think it adds a little finishing touch. I can't wait to get it running good so I can take it all apart again. Paint, pinstripe.....bling it up! I will see tonight how this new card reader I got today works. My old one was a pain in the....  I found the macro button on the camera and I will try to replace the pics with clear ones! Coles has changed hands, I don't know the full history on them. I discovered them about 3 years ago. People ask me are they still in CA.. I just know them to be in TX. The person I dealt with was Ken. He was nice and helpfull. Also there is a Gal working there too. She has always been nice. That southern hospitality!
Tony

Tony, Cole's used to be located in a small building just North of Hollywood, CA., on Ventura Blvd. The Father, Chuck, passed away many years ago and his daughter took over running the business and did so quite successfully for many more years. I had not called them for a while and the next time that I did, they were in the middle of their first move and from the sounds of things it was a bit of a mess. Then about a year later I find out that the business had been purchased and that they were doing business from out-of-state. That was the last episode that I had any dealings with them. A long, long history in the model building arena. The family were/are real good people and I am sure that the folks that still work there are as well but I just had gotten too much BS this last time and took my business elsewhere. I have been gun shy of ordering anything from them since, hopefully I may get over it and go back to them some time. My plans were to construct one of these models and put a crank shield over it and paint it up like a Massey as they did not produce H/M engines very long and are rather rare. Good luck with your picture taking adventures and I am looking forward to looking at them so take a lot.
Best regards

BC1

BC1,
I put the H&M down for about 6 months and went on to another project because as I was just about to start I had no compression. After checking for valve leaks I had found that I some how turn an oval cyl.??? 1.000 at 90 deg to that 1.010 how do you do that? But I tried my best to rescue it but NG. I called Coles and they sent me a new water jacket casting and I had it in a few days ($25 of course). I'm not trying to defend them but my experiences have been different.

Now to the good stuff. The card reader I bought today, magnificent!!! It acts like a drive not like the maddening thing I had. I just finished with taking pics (with the macro on) and things are looking good so far.

I am about to post them now. I will replace the ones that are there and add some more check back in a while to see.

Thanks
Tony

Starting a New Post for this to hard to replace pics in the old one

Latest posts

Back