CNC Controller

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marriss, the owner and chief engineer of Gecko did some tests and wrote a detailed paper about the number of microsteps. His view was that 10 was the 'sweet spot', enough to get past the resonance problems, but not drive into crazy step rates. All Gecko drive products are fixed at 10 microsteps.

When I have used other drives I usually set them to 8.

If you really want to get into the messy details there are several excellent papers on the geckodrive web site. One of the things I always liked about Marriss, was his testing. A debate would form on one of the net groups, and everyone would spout their opinion about some topic. A day or two later Marriss wold post a note that started with something like "I went into the lab and made the follwoing measurement...." He never posts an "I think...", always an "I measured..."

CNC software is managing a wide range of machine tools, such as machining facilities, lathes, mills, and equipment hobs. Some of set ups are detailed but all machines are applicants for OpenCNC like Alliant Knee Mill, Bridgeport Knee Mill, Carlton Twin Boring Mill, DeVlieg Jig Mill, Hillyer Fre Mill, etc.

Latest posts

Back