Cleaning up the new LMS milling vise.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Shred, you may be right. The Kurt clone type is only really just making a mass appearance here, whereas the K type has been the mainstay of offerings up until now, and I had never seen a Kurt type in the industry I used to work in over here, they were all styled like the K type, only beefier and better made.
With regards to the Bridgeport, up until recently, I don't think it was. Everyone scrambled for things like a Tom Senior, maybe because not many people have the room for large machinery over here. Everyone went for the most in the smallest available package, and I think they still do, going with the Seig range of machines. Used Bridgeports over here can sell for silly money, maybe half the price of a new X3.

John

Websterz,
Nice write up

I have the same vise from another vendor

The first time I crankedthe handle it didn't feel right. So I took it apart again and found the thrust bearings were SOFT . They Had bearing numbers on them but had never went to heat treat. They must have failed QC and were thrown in a big barrel. Along comes bean counter buys them for nothing thinking they look good

Couldn't find replacements so made my own O-1 steel and a hand made cutter

and I am in the thrust bearing business

Feels good polishing up a turd and making a good tool out of it, eh George? 8)

Everyone should have a jar of this in the shop

polish.jpg

Dannnnnnng, now I gotta go buy a truckload of that polish !! Got a sh*tload of uses for it :big: Rof} Rof}

Old thread, I know, but I am doing the exact same process to the same vise, for an X3 mill.
I've milled out the pocket on the moving jaw to some semblance of the shape it should have been.]\
But I'm at a loss what to do with the hemisphere piece. It has to sit between the thing the leadscrew fts into and the moving jaw somehow, but it has no divot or anything to locate it.
Mine was stuck sideways in some hard grease, obviously not where it goes.

Latest posts

Back