Cleaning up the new LMS milling vise.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterz

Reaction score
As promised here are the pics of my new toy. We'll start with a side shot. BTW the gunk is dragon fat, not rust:

side.jpg

Next a close-up of the swivel base. Some folks hate them, I plan to use the heck out of mine!

scale.jpg

Here's a pic showing more grease, and the nicely ground surfaces (on TOP...the underside's not so nice)

greasy.jpg

Okay, time to start pulling this thing apart for a good cleaning.

swiveltop.jpg

...and the underside:

swivelbottom.jpg

The underside of the swivel base is nicely machined, and a good casting to start with too. The scale is well stamped and easy to read. The only thing it lacks is a place to put keys on the underside. I'll get around to that eventually.

Here's the underside of the vise. Not so pretty but it is flat and free of major voids. Seems solid..

visebottom.jpg

And here's the machined surfaces on top of the vise bed. Very nicely ground and extremely flat. Again, that is grease and not tool marks.

visetop.jpg

More pics coming...

Now we start getting to the inside bits. I am not sure what you call this part, but it is very well cast.

nicelycast.jpg

until you look INSIDE.

2voids.jpg

The underside of the moving jaw is none too pretty either.

movingjaw.jpg

The circled area is (was) so badly ground that the vise wouldn't open all the way.

tooclose.jpg

I cleaned it up with my dremel and it fits much better now. No close-up of that.

After a good degreasing and deburring I put the vise back together, eager to try it out. I swept it in with my Last Word and clamped a piece of mild steel in the jaws. The part lifted up about .030" when I closed the vise!! :mad: I tried adjusting the locking collar and the jaw lift setscrew but it wasn't getting any better. The problem is that knowing a part needs to be there, and actually understanding how it works are two different things. Here is a pic of the little hemispherical doohickey that holds the jaw down when pressure is applied. The original Chinese part is the flat-topped one that is .030" too short. The other is the 4140 steel version I made on the lathe to replace it. ::) No more jaw lift...imagine that!

newpart.jpg

While I was at it I retapped the setscrew holes for the lift adjustment and locking collar to 1/4-28 and replaced the screws with some nice grade 5's.

Finally here are a couple of pics of the completed job.

mounted.jpg

notabadfit.jpg

Aside from the two casting voids and the part I had to replace the vise seems to be of better than average quality for a Chinese import and I think it will be a very nice addition to my shop. Plus it fits the x2 mill really well. ;)

Deburring???????............Looks like an overhaul! :big:

Matt

You should be able to get good work out of it, Webster. The spherical/ovoid half you made sure looks better than what came with it!
It looks nice on the top side, but man, those Chinese fellers never throw anything back into the casting pot, do they? (Sorry! It's just kind of funny, to me, they way they do things.)

Thanks for the pics and write up.

Dean

websterz said:
BTW the gunk is dragon fat...

I think you have finally discovered what that red gunk is they cover EVERYTHING with ;D

Very nice review and write up about the vise. I'd been wondering what they were like. Thanks.

I'd like to add something in between my big Bridgeport vise and the small tool makers vise. This size would fit the bill nicely. Now, if only the quality improves to equal some of the other Chinese stuff I have.

1hand said:
Deburring???????............Looks like an overhaul! :big:

Matt

Actually I only spent about 45 minutes on it Matt. Most of my time was spent making the little half-round gizmo. I don't have a ball turner (haven't gotten round to building one yet) so that was done on the lathe with a file and emery cloth. ;D

Todd

You definitely made the best of a sticky situation. Thm:

Job well done. I sure you'll enjoy the vise for years to come.
Matt

That's a real shame. Imagine the poor newbie who does not know any better and tries to use that as-is after a clean up...

Sad.

Glad you were able to work out it's deficiencies though.

Blogwitch said:
I know it is a bit off topic, but can anyone tell me why our US cousins tend to go for the 'Kurt' style of vice, and we in the UK side towards the 'K' type?

Blogs

They Work......cheap stuff aside.....I can't speak for the Chinese stuff but my 6" Kurt is a god send and the Jaw doesn't lift...unlike a "K".

Dave

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=17708937&PMT4NO=79888579

This is a cheap one....The vice closes with a screw only and is gibbed to the vice base. The moving jaw usually lifts when tightened, which usually lifts the work off the parallels. Giving the work a clout with a hammer is usually required. The other method is to put a dowel between the moving jaw and the work. That sometimes solves the problem.

Dave

Blogwitch said:
I didn't want to start a vice wars Dave, just why the difference of choice between the two sides of the pond.

Blogs
My speculation is that Kurts are seen in all the commercial shops in the US and commercial practice is what a the US ME community traditionally aspires to. Now exactly why that is (both the commercial shops and the aspirations) may be another story. Does the traditional UK ME "dream shop" have a Bridgeport in the corner?

I've got a couple Kurts and they're rock solid, but big suckers. The slot in the middle is sometimes a nuisance when they're open a lot.

Blogwitch said:
I didn't want to start a vice wars Dave, just why the difference of choice between the two sides of the pond.

I don't recall declaring any wars John ???

If your in the market for a good vice, but are short the sheckels...a 3+ inch "toolmakers" vice will give great service and they can be had very cheap.
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2356&category=

If they move around on the table, and they do because they're hard, put a sheet of writing paper under them when you bolt it down. You will be amazed at the amount of grip you will gain.

Websterz, I am glad you made out well on your overhaul, and they are significantly cheaper than a Kurt. Buyer beware though.

Dave

Latest posts

Back