cirrus castings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmachinist

Reaction score
Im looking for a set of cirrus engine castings. I know there is someone in Ohio selling them but unfortunatly im in the uk and he only has a phone number. im looking for a middle man/women to hrlp with the transaction. i have paypal etc.
Thanks in advance Robby

Hi Robert,
I will talk to Ray and work out the details if you like. I don't know if he has any castings on the shelf but I'm sure he could cast some within a week. I will let you know when he has them and we can communicate on my email account.
gbritnell

Hi Robert,
I spoke with Ray and he said it would be ok to work through me to get the castings out to you. Contact me at my email address: [email protected] and we will work out the details.
gbritnell

I remember that gentleman from Ohio... it's terrific that he is still producing castings as needed. Guys, may I suggest if a castings set comes up for an engine you really think you'll build one day, pick them up if you can. So many of these are produced by hobbyist individuals who do it for the love of the hobby.

They obviously aren't going to be around forever, and/or the patterns can be lost, go out of business, etc.

Robby, are you doing a 1/6 or 1/4 scale? My own 1/6 scale was the first IC engine I made. In retrospect, I wish I had made it spark rather than glow. I guess I could convert it one day. It's a neat engine, pretty straightforward build. The one-piece head is a challenge, however.

cir23.jpg

cir05.jpg
cir12.jpg

Swede said:
My own 1/6 scale was the first IC engine I made. In retrospect, I wish I had made it spark rather than glow.

Sorry for the side post, but your comment caught my eye. Did you experience shortcomings from glowplug running over a distributd spark ignition setup (idling, transition etc)? Or was it more for reasons like castor gunk, or building challenge & realism etc. ?

petertha said:
Sorry for the side post, but your comment caught my eye. Did you experience shortcomings from glowplug running over a distributd spark ignition setup (idling, transition etc)? Or was it more for reasons like castor gunk, or building challenge & realism etc. ?

No, the glow ran fine. The only issue is delivering 1.5V to 4 current-hungry glow plugs simultaneously, and that's certainly not insurmountable.

I just prefer the mechanical complexity of a gasoline/spark system. The goo left over from a glow fuel is no fun, either.

It's just a personal choice.

Latest posts

Back