Chuck adapter plate

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8ntsane

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have a question for you.
My 41 Sidney lathe currently is fitted up with a 3-jaw chuck. This machine has the L-1 type spindle mount, that isnt really easy to obtain, and I have a 4-jaw chuck that I want to fit up to this machine.

What Im wanting to do is this. I figure I could just make a adapter plate that
will bolt up to the original L-1 plate, so the 4-jaw can be bolted up. both 3-jaw and 4-jaw are 8-inch chucks.

Now its time to choose the material. Im guessing, that I could use cast iron, steel, or possibly aluminum? What are the best choices for me here? This is a 14X30 lathe, and a real stout one for its size. It weighs in at 4200 pounds, and I often take pretty deep cuts, in aluminum & steel, so that may make the choice in plate somthing to concider.

Id like to stay away from cast iron if I could, I know its comonly used for this type of thing, but I really hate to cut that stuff on my lathe, its just so gritty, and cant do my machine much good. I know it cuts nice and all, but I allways try to avoid harmfull grit to my machines.

If its the best choice for a adapter plate, so be it. I would like to know what others have used to make back plates/ adapter plates? I want to get this 4- jaw mounted up , as not all jobs are suitable to mount in the 3-jaw, and trying to shim it up in a 3-jaw just takes way to long, and only brings the runout lower, and doesnt get it were I want it to be.

Im also thinking I should do a set up plate, so I dont have to keep removing the 3-jaw to test fit the new plate.

What say you?
TIA
Paul

Back