cheap laser line scanner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loose nut

Reaction score
I also posted this at the HSM site, I wasn't sure were the request came from.

Some time back someone wanted info on scanning objects into a computer so it could be converted into code for cnc machining.

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

Check out this site, it has a home brew laser line scanner and the software is free, all you need is a web camera, a cheap laser level the kind that makes a line not a dot and the software. This will let you scan an object into your computer. I don't know how you would convert the data to cnc code, I'm strictly a manual machinist (amateur standing of course). It should be easy for anyone here to motorize the scanning process. This apparently will produce high level scans with some work of course.

Nice find there Loose Nut. Now if you would reverse the process you could make parts. By that I mean stereo lithography (sp?). Make a 3D model on the computer and use lasers to make a part out of polymer resin. Instand patterns. You could make really fancy castings in no time.

bernd

This process does make a 3D model in you computer, that's what is so interesting. Modeling like this is cutting edge stuff for the big boys and here it is available to anyone, cheap! The output is pretty high quality. The stereo lithography is just one idea and there is a web site out there that shows how to convert a ink jet printer for just that purpose. It should also be possible to convert the model to g-code for CNC milling.

Have you fellas seen the 3D printers. I've seen them in the trade magazines at work a lot more in the past couple years. Really neat.

Finally managed to successfully thread cut on a machine that fell from 5 feet I have welded the bed the skirt and the gearbox housing straightened the lead screw repaired many other parts that got broken. I also finally found out why it would not part off correctly. combination of gib setting and the size of the cross slide handle.
Best of all for me it was a hand ground HSS tool.

I am making an adapter so I can take work off the lathe and put it in a rotary table.

I learned a lot fixing the lathe

lathethreadcut.JPG

lathethreadcut.JPG

Back