CERAMIC Sanding belts

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philipintexas

Reaction score
I do lots of sanding to remove powder-coat from 6061 Aluminum. I go through lots of belts but recently encountered some ceramic versions. They cost a good bit more but really cut through the powder-coat much faster than the old variety. Seems like they stay sharp and cut quicker for an extended time. I have no interest, just passing along a tip if you use sanding belts.

Out of curiosity, have you tried zirconia alumina belts? Cost is only slightly higher than standard belts and last longer.
I have had good luck with them on aluminum, steels, and stainless.
They should be cheaper than ceramic based belts.

If they are the blue color ones, yes I have but didn't find them much better than the standard ones.

Hi,
Why not buy powder coat stripper?
Check out the powder coat suppliers I'm sure I've seen it on at least a couple of there sites

Cheers Kerrin

I powder coat and now and then get a reject ,I save them all up and then strip them using Starchem synstryp paint stripper .

This really works fast and the powder just slips off often in 1 piece .
care should be taken as it soon burns if you get it on you.

Rob.

There is a tool called a belt cleaner. it is really a like a big eraser,very gummy. I am on my 3rd belt cleaner in 40 years. This may be the first I ever wear out.
It has 3 layers of rubber, and cleans a belt in seconds. The stick is about 1.25 square, and 8" long. SWARF coming off is little beads of rubber, but want a great job it does cleaning the belt. Only replace belts when they are worn out, not clogged.

My sanding is to remove the powder coat on raised areas to give a two-tone effect. The powder coat material does tend to gum up the grit and I have the belt cleaner that helps. I tried masking areas before coating but that takes longer than removing it afterwards. I have stripped my screw-ups with paint remover but fortunately I have very few.

It seems the Ceramic belts don't gum up as bad because they cut through the PC before they have time to heat up.

Latest posts

Back