Centrifugal switch ideas please.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My two cents:

I like the idea of just having a metal weight sitting on the switch, that in itself is not heavy enough to trip it. When the engine turns the centrafgal force will trip the switch. No tubes, springs, micro chips or fission reactors needed, just stick a weight right on the lever on your microswitch and be done with it.

KISS - Keep It Short and Sweet -

Any design that pretend to be simple but requires the switch to be part of the rotating gear fail to see that the switch action must be brought out to a stationary frame. Of course slip ring and blue-tooth are an "easy" solution to the problem.:p:p

you could just use an old fashioned communicator, two bands of copper, and two brushes of copper to bring the signal out of the moving piece. simple, almost no energy drain from engine due to friction, no added power source needed, jut a imple low tech solution ;-)

the real point I am trying to make is we, as engineers, tend to look towards complicted technological solutions for simple problems.

Good Morning Jack.

The attached is a sketch of a centrifugal switch mechanism to operate a small micro switch.

The three balls are thrown outward through centrifical force causing the outer ring to centralise operating a micro switch. When the motor stops, the balls will travel back down the retaining holes causing the ring to fall away from the switch.

However you could also make a slotted disc to interrupt a photo optic interface switching a semiconductor such as a 741 and hex FET.

Hope this helps

Doug Baker

Attachments

• centrifical switch 2.pdf
    28.6 KB · Views: 196
However you could also make a slotted disc to interrupt a photo optic interface switching a semiconductor such as a 741 and hex FET.
This bring to mind... To convert the output of the optical coupler into a frequency threshold the pulse can be used to discharge a charging capacitor. The Cap voltage will be presented to a comparator. Below a certain RPM the comparator will flip and that can be used in many way to interact with to RPM.
Having spent a lifetime in electronic I rather work on mechanical solution now.

Back