Centre drill holder.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeferdog

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I found an old arbor, MT3 x JT6 in one of my tooling drawers. It has a draw thread of 1/2" UNC and as a consequence will not connect to my M12 drawbar. Where it came from I have no idea, but that is happening to me more and more these days. Anyway, I ran a file over it and it didn't seem too hard so I thought it could be made into something useful, in this case a centre drill holder for the lathe. I made an ejector stud from a 1/2" UNC bolt so that it would be pushed out from the tailstock, drilled the small end with a 5mm drill, then set up and drilled and tapped for a 5mm grub screw to hold the drill. Everything worked fine, I was having a good day, the hardness of the metal was similar to 316 SS, plenty of Rocol and it cut quite easily. I think I'll find this pretty handy. Cheers, Peter.

20171227_084258.jpg

20171227_092248.jpg

20171227_093335.jpg

20171227_093157.jpg

20171227_093549.jpg

Nice work. Sometimes the simple projects have big payoffs down the road, i suspect this is one of them.

As for memory related issues with things that turn up, I'm in the middle of some home remodeling projects some of which cant be put off. It is amazing what one finds moving furniture around or reorganizing the shop in the cellar. A sheath for a knife i cant find at the moment tools i literally just bought replacements for because again couldn't find the tool. Then there are the things totally forgotten about sitting on a shelf where you left them years ago.

No winning lottery tickets though.

Deeferdog--nice job. I made one of those years ago, then never used it. I found it far quicker and less hassle to just hold the center drill in my tailstock chuck.---Brian

I need one of those as I center drill a part, then pull the center drill from the chuck and put in the drill for the through hole. Then I chuck the next part, change out to a center drill, then back to the drill for the through hole. It would be nice to just pop out the MT and slip in the drill chuck. It seems like I'm always changing them.

Sounds like you need a turret!
I need one of those as I center drill a part, then pull the center drill from the chuck and put in the drill for the through hole. Then I chuck the next part, change out to a center drill, then back to the drill for the through hole. It would be nice to just pop out the MT and slip in the drill chuck. It seems like I'm always changing them.

Latest posts

Back