• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Can't believe the price these things bring

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! thats more than I thougt a new one costs.

I know its not a fair comparison , but I think an import 9 x 20 can be had for less.

Portable but pricy!

-MB

I see that this is loaded with accessories, and it's the long bed (17") model... pretty sweet... Sherline accessories cost... unless you build them yourself...

Sherlines are pricey... :(

tom

Metal Butcher said:
Wow! thats more than I thougt a new one costs.

I know its not a fair comparison , but I think an import 9 x 20 can be had for less.

Portable but pricy!

-MB

If I had the space I'd get the 9x20. Sherline owner.

That thing is truly tricked out. It looks like it has the Sherline DC motor setup. That Sherline DRO set is very spendy as well. That was not a bad deal. Prolly worth more than the sale price.

As far as comparison to an Asian 9x20.. there is none. The Sherline wins hands down in quality.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't see the DRO. That seems to add $600 or more to everything!

But guys the Sherline DROs are way overpriced...

The electronics are not that complicated... And the parts not expensive... 3 months ago I got at the MIT fleamarket three optical encoders with 1024 bits per revolution (overkill for DRO) for $5 each.

I planned to make them at home... some day...

Price might have been a tad high for used equipment. Although the DRO for the lathe itself is $325.

Looks like there was a bidding war going on between 2 buyers => great for seller, bad for buyers. You may wind up paying more then you should have. I know, been there done that :p

Mike

Yes, I'm a Sherline mill & lathe owner :D

ttrikalin said:
But guys the Sherline DROs are way overpriced...

Well, who's to say? If you want a good product, how much do you have to get to before it's considered "overpriced"? DRO's are expensive. That doesn't make them overpriced.

The electronics are not that complicated... And the parts not expensive... 3 months ago I got at the MIT fleamarket three optical encoders with 1024 bits per revolution (overkill for DRO) for $5 each.

I built a nice looking boring head for about $5 in materials. That doesn't do anyone else any good if they don't know how to build one too.

That lathe and all the stuff that went with it was a good price at the opening bid. A bit high at the closing. You usually have to pay for quality.

Dean

Deanofid said:
hat lathe and all the stuff that went with it was a good price at the opening bid. A bit high at the closing.

Of course the opening bid was $0.99 Rof}

ya i like how all those mooroons just keep bidding away till its out of the good price range . (knuckle heads)
if you wait till the last seven seconds then bid high you will get it at a good price (BUT) you got to stay away from those bidding wars. just dont even get in that. ive got a few really good deals by waiting till the last seven seconds, but as soon as i see everybody bidding like crazy i get out and look else where.

Yup. that's why I never bid early in an auction (unless I'm killing a BIN). I have no intention of signaling my interest until the end.

What do you mean expensive?
Thats cheap compared to what you have to pay in Australia.
The SHeline 17 inch lathe with no tooling will set you back near $1900.

What really irratates me is it is cheaper for me to buy one in the US, pay the 2 or 3 hundred dollars freight, then the 10% GST, than it is to buy from the supplier here in OZ who I assume can buy in bulk so would get a better purchase price and freight deal than I can.

Latest posts

Back