Calculating bolt circle diameter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
Recently I was involved in a discussion on another forum concerning how to determine the diameter of a bolt circle given the (chordal) distances between any three points that lie on said bolt circle.

Long ago I wrote a program to do just this calculation. (It can be downloaded from my site - look for CIRC3). However, this revisit to the problem led to a much simpler method that can be easily carried out on any scientific calculator. I thought it might be worthwhile passing it along to others who might encounter this problem.

Call the three chords you've measured a,b,c. They form a triangle and we'll label the angles opposite these sides as A, B, C respectively. Now, the law of cosines says:

a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc*cosA

from which:

A = acos[(b^2 + c^2 - a^2)/(2bc)]

Since a, b and c are known (measured) quantities, we can plug in their values and find the angle A.

Those who didn't sleep through trig class will also remember the law of sines which says:

a/sinA = b/sinB = c/sinC

If you really, really paid attention in trig class you'll remember this common ratio is also the diameter of the circle which circumscribes the triangle. Thus, since the circumscribed circle corresponds to our bolt circle, the diameter of the bolt circle, D, is given very simply by:

D = a/sinA

Ha!

Been using that for years and hadn't given it a thought. I slept most of the way in school only waking up for the metal work class.
If you have a look in the back of the Zeus book its all in there for the taking.
Mind you its nice to see it written down on here much appreciated.

Cheers Kevin

Kevin,
I have already mentioned the Zeus book to them, but it seems that they don't have this little pocket bible available over there, or it has fallen on deaf ears. Mine is over 20 years old by now and now needs replacing.
It is worn out through being used dozens of times a day.
Maybe we should buy a few and try to break into the US market.

John

I apologize for trying to teach you guys how to suck eggs. Though I've often heard of the Zeus books, I've never seen one over here in the erstwhile colony. We have various 'pocket reference' books but I've never seen one that addressed the problem of finding the circle diameter from three chords.

Latest posts

Back