CAD to CAM conversion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flopearedmule

Reaction score
Does anyone know a place I could start..........ACAD is the main cad program I draw with. I would like to know if there is a conversion program out there that will convert the DXF file to a CAM file? The place I worked at for years, we used virtual gibbs, but I can't afford that! Just wondering what else is out there that is affordable or free??
I have a ProtoTrak MX2 controller on my bridgeport and some programs it takes along time standing at the machine writing a program, where it is much easier to draw in ACAD.
If somebody even know a place I can call to ask questions that would be great.
Thanks

There are a few hobby level CAM packages- at least the price is hobby level, the job they do is pretty professional.

I use www.sheetcam.com its been around for several years, does a good job and is under $200 As teh name implies, its good for sheet job, like plasma cutting and wood routing, but Ive used it to make many model engine parts.

A newer program is CamBam. Ive tried it, and it seems very good

There are also some products from Vectric, Cut2D, Cut3d, PhotoVcarve and Vcarve pro.

If I remember correctly ... that prototrac will accept a dxf file directly will it not? If you want to make something in a hurry pm me.

There are a few hobby level CAM packages- at least the price is hobby level, the job they do is pretty professional.

I use www.sheetcam.com its been around for several years, does a good job and is under $200 As teh name implies, its good for sheet job, like plasma cutting and wood routing, but Ive used it to make many model engine parts.

There are also some products from Vectric, Cut2D, Cut3d, PhotoVcarve and Vcarve pro.

Thanks, That gives me a place to start looking and calling.

Ron,
Cut2D looks like exactly what I need, actually all three programs look like they will work. Do you have one that seems easier and more user friendly to use?? I emailed Cut2D and Sheetcam to see if they have a post processor written for the MX2.

Another question.... I have another MX2 bridgeport that the controller is no good, but the lead screws, server motors work fine. I would like to read and study how to make my own cnc controller with a computer. Can you give me a place to go and read about doing this and maybe a supplier to buy all the parts.???
Thanks
Dennis

cnc4pc.com is a reputable supplier - and helpful when you email.

Also try ebay for hardware. You should be able to get tha machine going for a very reasonable cost considering it's already cnc.

Also, google "diy cnc" and enjoy a lifetime of material!

oh yeah, also check out meshcam.

heekscam is free.

I high DON'T recommend BobCAD... I bought 2 seats back in 07 and literally barely used it. Horrible learing curve for me - I'm a solids kind of guy. The cad side of it was useless and it would not simply import my solids like they said. I guess I should have known when the starting price was $4600 and I got it for $850. Plus they are very high pressure - don't even let them get your email address.

I currently have edgecam and allibre cam. I think next time i have to buy something I am going to go with onecnc or visualmill which allibre cam actually is. They only lack the hsm features such as trocoidal milling and the more modern tool paths.

I've all but used it all. I even ponied up the cash for solidcam back in 2010 but i did not get the right level and it didn't suit my purposes any better than allibre cam.

JW
thanks for all the info! I did type in diy cnc, and it is too much info for me. It would be nice to have a recommended from somebody website, that I don't have to read for 6 months.:confused:
I will call cnc4pc and get their advise.
Thanks again
Dennis

cnc4pc.com is a reputable supplier - and helpful when you email.

Also try ebay for hardware. You should be able to get tha machine going for a very reasonable cost considering it's already cnc.

Also, google "diy cnc" and enjoy a lifetime of material!

I use and would recommend CamBam as an easy to use and affordable package.
http://www.cambam.info/

-Reading from and writing to 2D DXF files.
-2.5D profiling machine operations with auto-tab support
-2.5D pocketing operations with auto island detection
-Drilling (Normal,Peck,Spiral Milling and Custom Scripts)
-Engraving
-True Type Font (TTF) text manipulation and outline (glyph) extraction.
-Conversion of bitmaps to heightmaps
-3D geometry import from STL, 3DS and RAW files
-3D waterline and scanline machining operations

JW
thanks for all the info! I did type in diy cnc, and it is too much info for me. It would be nice to have a recommended from somebody website, that I don't have to read for 6 months.:confused:
I will call cnc4pc and get their advise.
Thanks again
Dennis

Try www.linuxcnc.org.

As for Bridgeport there have been many companies over the years doing CNC conversions or upgrades. If you are not into DIY controls I'd suggest giving one of them a call. Here is the reality, it takes a lot of time and effort to get to the point where you can do DIY CNC projects by yourself. If you don't want to spend the time you will need to hire somebody.

By the way knowing CAD/CAM doesn't eliminate you need to learn G-Code, the MDI interface of your controller and other features of you controller. If you don't have prior experience with CNC machines it could realistically take six months to come up to speed.

I have a post processor I used to use at my previous employment. We used Virtual Gibbs, and I saved the post processor. Can somebody explain how a post processor is written? If I have this one we used on Virtual Gibbs, can it be modified to work with cambam, cut2d or any other cam programs?
Thanks

I also use Cambam and can recommend it. It has a great support forum as well.

Every CAM product has its own system for post processors. CamBam passes a large number of macro values to its postprocessor system, and each post is an XML file that permits interpolation of these values into user-specified g-code models. If a machine uses something close to standard Fanuc g-code formats then it's fairly easy to make a new post for a different machine. There has been at least one post developed for a Bridgeport controller as well as a Heidenhan.

In any case, CB allows you to specify a post-generation script editor (e.g., SED) to modify its output in cases where XCB's postprocessor/generator can't giove you exactly what you want.

For CNC turning, I use Lazyturn. It is freeware, simple, and easy to learn. It uses dxf files and produces G code text files which Mach3 can use. Admittedly, the files do need to be checked and sometimes need some editing, but it is excellent value for the price (free).

I have a post processor I used to use at my previous employment. We used Virtual Gibbs, and I saved the post processor. Can somebody explain how a post processor is written? If I have this one we used on Virtual Gibbs, can it be modified to work with cambam, cut2d or any other cam programs?
Thanks

A post from Gibbs will only work with Gibbs and the machine the post was for. A post doesn't do anything alone. A post is basically the instructions the CAM software uses to turn toolpaths into machine G-code for a specific machine. If you have a home built CNC running LinuxCNC or Mach, the posts are simple because you probably won't be using any special or canned cycles, especially for a mill. So the basic CAM software generally include posts for the generic machine controls. Many of these softwares have posts you can modify yourself to match the machine control. I made changes to my Visuall mill post to match what LinuxCNC wanted in certain functions.

CAM software is available from freeware to tens of thousands of dollars. You just have to try them to see if they meet your needs. Much of the free stuff works but has limitations. It seems the videos I see for the free stuff cut a lot of air, but that could be the user as well. Stay away from BobCad :wall:.

A post from Gibbs will only work with Gibbs and the machine the post was for. A post doesn't do anything alone. A post is basically the instructions the CAM software uses to turn toolpaths into machine G-code for a specific machine. If you have a home built CNC running LinuxCNC or Mach, the posts are simple because you probably won't be using any special or canned cycles, especially for a mill. So the basic CAM software generally include posts for the generic machine controls. Many of these softwares have posts you can modify yourself to match the machine control. I made changes to my Visuall mill post to match what LinuxCNC wanted in certain functions.

CAM software is available from freeware to tens of thousands of dollars. You just have to try them to see if they meet your needs. Much of the free stuff works but has limitations. It seems the videos I see for the free stuff cut a lot of air, but that could be the user as well. Stay away from BobCad :wall:.

Ditto this entire post. Also, if you want to buy from me on ebay, my username is "ih8bobcad" and my alternate email address is "[email protected] for any one who wants to find out more about staying the hell away from bobcrap.

Sheetcam doesn't have 3D capacity but it is not very expensive. It also has terrific support. Emailed replies from the author come within 24 hrs and usually sooner. He will write a post processer for any non compliant machine. The program is being continually developed; its about twice the size it was when I first bought it almost ten years ago. He will also build in any sensible suggestions. No comnection, just a happy user...

Sheetcam doesn't have 3D capacity but it is not very expensive. It also has terrific support. Emailed replies from the author come within 24 hrs and usually sooner. He will write a post processer for any non compliant machine. The program is being continually developed; its about twice the size it was when I first bought it almost ten years ago. He will also build in any sensible suggestions. No comnection, just a happy user...

I sent Sheetcam an email asking about a post processor almost a week ago, and haven't heard back from them. I just sent them another one. Hopefully they will respond, I would like to try this program.

This makes no sense to me, perhaps the email address is not the help one. I have never not had a response by 24 hrs...

Back