Cabin Fever 2011

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pictures and reports everybody. Especially to whoever posted some pictures of the various vendors and wares.. Not something most people take pictures of, but a good reason to go for many ;)

Guys: I have attended all of the Cabin Fever shows since its inception. I also have displayed at every NAMES show except the first one. I have displayed at several other shows over the years. I'm sure many of you have seen me around. I am disabled and am also getting old and having a harder time unloading at these shows. I got to Cabin Fever on Friday afternoon and after paying admission went in and looked around for a cart to wheel my stuff in to set up. Both me and my son looked around for 45 minutes trying to find a cart. Like George said, asking for assistance fell on deaf ears. We finally found a small cart that was being used by an elderly couple and waited for over half an hour till they were through with it to wheel our engines in. It has been this way at Cabin Fever in the past as well. Maybe it's because we get there later in the day, but any carts that others may have used just seem to disappear. Maybe they get used for the auction later in the day Friday? Anyway, George is not making this up. It is and has been a problem at this show. Ron Colonna

On Saturday I saw lots of carts but they had engines on them for the auction that day and im sure it was the same for friday.

Dave

I went to the aucton they had for full size hit and miss engines and left when one sold for $61000.00 with the 12% buyers premium of $7320.00 and 6% sales tax $4099.20 for a total of $72419.20 WOW

All and all a good day

Dave
Dave, was it the Springfield that sold for $61K? If not, do you recall what the Springfield sold for?

Thank you.

Orrin

I was there at Cabin fever. sat next to z at the seminar . Spoke with Ron Ginger. Attempted to set up an HMEM area. Fernroar and Jaquere friends from cf ,lurkers on the board setup with me Captain Jerry flew up from FL. I had a sign in sheet for forum members .
Collected 8 names on Saturday and four on Sunday I know more folks were there than I met.
As far as carts I carry my own to shows. For those who needed help and did not get it sorry to hear that. I know there are handicapped folks that attend . one guy I know has sever breathing problems and can barely get himself around his wife helps getting the engines in and out. Suggestions please how to solve this problem. I may try to get there earlier and avail myself.
Do we need to get some Amish /Mennonite boys to work for tips to help folks?? do HMEM folks need to network and help each other at this show ?
Tin

Orrin, Yes it was the red 2hp springfield.

Dave

Hi Tin,
I had said my piece and didn't want this to turn into a gripe thread but after reading your post I just have comment. It would be great to have HMEM members and friends help others out with moving their equipment but my original complaint was that I and many others spend quite a bit of money for the 3 days of the show. If we are the show then you would think that maybe the promoter would try just a little bit harder to get us in and out.
gbritnell

George:
Each show has its own culture. I have never gone to Names I understand the culture is different than Cabin Fever.
The promoter of CF is basically one man his "staff" is family and friends . Some of those folks appear to be plain (Mennonite/Amish)
The show attendance, including auction bidders attendees and exhibitors was something in the 5000-5500 range this year. in a 74000 sf Show floor. Gary does his best to stay in touch but he is one man. He was actually riding a bike this year at the beginning and end of day to cover more ground in less time at the show. It is a huge show and exhibiting is every man for himself with the exception of a couple of groups that work and exhibit together like NEMES and the Rough and Tumble (Kinzers PA) model group.

In contrast the NEMES show is small. as such folks work and communicate much closer to set up displays and break down and load at the end of the day one door in and out small parking lot to load unload. off site parking etc.

Sorry I did not take the time to find you and your display. If there is a problem and folks like you need a little help lets find a way to fix it. it takes a village to raise a child. not a city not one person. HEMEM is a community lets try to work together without getting the mayor involved unless needed. Or write the mayor(Gary ) if you like he may not even be aware of the problem.
Tin

Guys: I don't really need any help loading or unloading my stuff at Cabin Fever. All I need is a good cart. I don't have the room to bring my own along. I think a cart or two should be set aside for exhibitor use only. If they all end up being used by the Auction crowd, I can't set up. These engines are too heavy and I have too many to bring them in one at a time over the long distance across the floor. I could leave half of them home, but what is the use in going if you can't display and run your favorites. I was offered a small wagon by one of the exhibitors and I thanked them for the offer, but using that would have required a dozen trips.Walking is not my strong point. You can't get more than a toolbox in a wagon and I have two of those, eight engines, a box containing fuels, batteries, etc. I am happy to load and unload at my own pace, even if it takes me a bit longer due to my disability. I just require a cart. I hate to complain and will continue to make due with the situation as it is if necessary. I have in the past so many years. I don't know how many but it all started when the Auctions did. :) Ron

Latest posts

Back