Building a Factory Engine, Elmer's #41 (Finished on 2-28-10)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that's a crummy thing to happen! The fly wheels, I mean. They almost look like tiny runners in there.

The base looks just great though, Rick. That 5 degrees is enough to show up well. Very nice.

Dean

Deanofid said:
Well, that's a crummy thing to happen! The fly wheels, I mean. They almost look like tiny runners in there.

The base looks just great though, Rick. That 5 degrees is enough to show up well. Very nice.

Dean

I have had good luck with all the PMR products I've used up on till now. I guess things unseen are difficult to weed out. We'll see what happens come Monday.

Thanks for the compliment. The 3 degree taper I used last year on my build of Elmer's #42 Oscillating-Cylinder Engine is very noticeable. The 5 degree on this build is a bit more noticeable and more than adequate in my opinion. We use what we have to make our builds suit our preference and pocket.

-MB

I'd imagine PMR will sort this out. I've been buying stuff from them for many years, and they've always been good, in my view.
Still, too bad it had to happen after you've put the time into it. It can happen on high dollar castings, too.

Dean

#103 The news is good! I contacted PMR inc. to see about getting the two flawed flywheel casting replaced. The lady I spoke with was very polite and said the replacements would be shipped out today, and that I could expect them in two or three days. Now that's what I call first class service! The sand inclusions I found in the original castings can happen occasionally, and due to their hidden nature are impossible to detect by visual examination. While I was on the phone I ordered in some extra aluminum and bronze flywheel castings, and some bronze pipe fitting tree's. I like dealing with a company that stands behind their products, and is responsive to a customers needs.

Yesterday I did the final filing and sanding needed to complete the metal finishing, and applied the painted finish to the five aluminum pieces that make up the supporting structure.
The build of the #41 turned into a double build that now includes the #33. It made sense to build them in tandem since many of the parts require identical or similar machining steps. I also made a few parts for the #29 Mine Engine that will likely be my next build.
The blue/gray color parts on the left are for the #33. The three major parts that make up the assembly are shorter than the gray/green parts on the right for the #41.
On the #41 I used the 'round' theme by drilling the cross head guides, rounding over bearing caps, drilling the out board bearing hole, and rounding over the ends mounting 'lugs'.
On the #33 I used an 'arch' theme on the cross head guides, bearing caps, out board bearing arched opening at the base, and arched ends on the mounting 'lugs'.
These subtle differences were added to help distinguish the two builds from appearing to be identical. The major design difference is in the valve linkages. And they represent the difference between a 'Factory Engine' and a 'Mill Engine'.

p1030307v.jpg

#104 I like the way a nice piece of wood adds to the overall appearance of a finished engine. What I don't like is working with this dusty, smelly, soft, unpredictably natured, naturally flawed material. I don't get along with the stuff at all. But, once it finished and serving its purpose, all is forgiven and forgotten. With that off my chest, I feel much better now! 8)

p1030308x.jpg

#105 With a serious lack of photo's for today's post I thought you might find the following of interest. "Honey" likes to spend her weekends going to auctions and estate/ garage sales. She manages to bring home little 'treats' for me on a regular basis. This was this weekend's 'treat', a five dollar box of goodies. The first two trays are what made my day. I needed those fifteen 82, 90, 100 degree counter sinks.

p1030312e.jpg

#106 Most of the drill bits are under a 1/4"! And sizes I normally use.

p1030313y.jpg

#107 Only a few small taps in this batch, but hey, you take the bitter with the sweet!

p1030314o.jpg

#108 All sizes and styles of end mills are always welcome! The extra long double end 1/8" is the most desirable one in this batch.

p1030315i.jpg

"Yes Dear, dinner will be ready shortly! ;D

-MB

Gee, the Butcher's wife is a nice lady!

She must pay attention to what's going on in the shop to know you would like this stuff.
Hope you make something extra nice for supper.

Dean

Deanofid said:
Gee, the Butcher's wife is a nice lady!

She must pay attention to what's going on in the shop to know you would like this stuff.
Hope you make something extra nice for supper.

Dean
Thanks Dean.

I showed her what all the basic cutting tools look like, and she caught on real quick.
She's always enjoys hunting down bargains. I can't always use all that she gets, but there's always something good in each batch, and five bucks won't buy much from a tool catalog.

-MB

#103 I received my replacement flywheel casting yesterday and finished them up. I also made up a few small pins and studs that were over looked. And added a few more coats of finish to the wooden bases. Today I did the final assembly and test run. Other than a few minor paint nicks everything went together with out a hitch. Both engines seemed just a tiny bit tight at first, but smoothed right out real nice after a 10 minute run. This thread was originally about the building the gray/green #41. I started building the added blue/gray #33 a few weeks into the original build, due to its similarity. Below are the final picture of both engines.

p1030319s.jpg

p1030322e.jpg

p1030323s.jpg

p1030325.jpg

p1030326o.jpg

p1030330m.jpg

p1030331c.jpg

p1030335n.jpg

p1030336.jpg

p1030337x.jpg

p1030338i.jpg

p1030339q.jpg

p1030343m.jpg

p1030344q.jpg

p1030345j.jpg

#128 To complete my post I added the usual video that shows both engines running. The timing was set so that when facing the flywheels they have a clockwise rotation. When both builds are running side by side, the flywheels are going in opposite directions when the engines are viewed from their cylinder ends.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsR0C7bc_pk[/ame]

I hope you enjoyed my build thread, and the final pictures and video. :)

-MB

Wow...those engine look great!

I like the look of those Elmer type engines.

Chris

MB;

Real pair of beauty's there. Great job. Thm:

I would like to request a Picture of all your Elmer's engines together in a group shot. You must be getting quite the collection there.

Matt

Beautiful engines MB.
And yes, the thread was great.
Like Matt, I wouldn't mind seeing a collection shot either.

Great works MB! Thm:

Excellent thread as well.

Rick

Hi Rick,
Very, very nice work on those engines. As I have said about your other engines, the finish is first rate and the paint really sets off the brass. Now my only gripe. I can live with the socket head screws but I would make some brass acorn nuts to hold the crosshead bars down. Those hardware nuts just aren't up to the quality of the rest of the build.
Are you going to take a break now or are you diving headlong into something new?
George

They look fabulous, Rick!

George already mentioned the screws/nuts. Your engines deserve better, (just my opinion). That is no reflection on your work! They are both nicely done indeed, and show your skills.
I especially like it when a guy works to crisp, clean corners and edges in his work, instead of buffing them over. The smart edges on these engines show one of the many elements of craftsmanship in your work.

Three cheers!

Dean

vascon2196, 1hand, Zeeprogramer, rake60, gbritnell, and Deanofid, Thank you all for the wonderful compliments!

1hand and Zee, I was planning on showing a picture of all the engines in my collection in the very near future. I posted a 'farewell and picture' post at the end of last years build season, and I will do the same this spring.

George and Dean, I have to agree with you on the stainless threaded studs and stainless nuts. I don't like them either. At the time I had no other choice. After having second thoughts about Elmer's stud/nut arrangement I finally broke down and ordered a box of extra long cap screws for the cross head guides on Monday ($16./100ct) that came in yesterday.

Since I spent a lot of time getting the the studs set at the right height, and spent even more time fumbling to get the nuts threaded on (the reason I don't like 'tiny' nuts.) so, I just left them on for the moment. I got those "scale" nuts from a well known supplier, and all the stuff I got from him is unsatisfactory in my opinion. However, I do find the larger 'scale' nuts handy up under the wooden bases.

I thought that someone might mention their dislike of the hex-drive cap and button head screws that I like so much. To see you in agreement with my way of thinking is a welcome critique. 8)

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
vascon2196, 1hand, Zeeprogramer, rake60, gbritnell, and Deanofid, Thank you all for the wonderful compliments!

1hand and Zee, I was planning on showing a picture of all the engines in my collection in the very near future. I posted a 'farewell and picture' post at the end of last years build season, and I will do the same this spring.

-MB

Farewell???? What do you mean??? You leave us in the Spring? Where you going???? What da Heck?

?matt?

Last year at this time I didn't even know what a coaxial indicator, collet, nor all da utter stuff we use, was. So I missed Your post. Good for you and "Honey", to get out and about. I think that is awesome. I will be Leaving here in less than a month too. Back to the grind of making Big rocks into little ones. The life of the traveling construction worker. What kind of work did you do before retirement? Me and "Sweetie" and the 3 kids like to spend the weekends during the summer at our permanent camper site in northern Wisconsin. Its nice having the 14 year old to mow the 3 acre's at home during the week when I'm gone so we all can meet at the camper on the weekends. I sent in my patent for my 18,000 different postion prosthetic wrist on Monday, so hopefully next year could bring some more hometime with the launch of Midwest ProCAD "Midwest Prosthetic Custom Assistive Devices". If not, there still are the rocks to crush, and fish to be caught at the lake. As for your trip, you and "honey" should make a swing around through Wisconsin on your way to or from Canada for a little visit and a good meal with "Sweetie" and I.

Thanks for being a great Friend;
Matt ;D

Excellent build/thread, Rick. Thanks a bunch. You have set a high bar for a lot of us. It's nice when they run but it is very special when you present them like you do. You definitely add the "sizzle" to the steak. I have finished the PDF of the build and have uploaded it to the files sections. Crazy idea but I called it "Elmer's #41 by Metal Butcher" Go figure. Thanks again.

Ed

1hand said:
Last year at this time I didn't even know what a coaxial indicator, collet, nor all da utter stuff we use, was. So I missed Your post. Good for you and "Honey", to get out and about. I think that is awesome. I will be Leaving here in less than a month too. Back to the grind of making Big rocks into little ones. The life of the traveling construction worker. What kind of work did you do before retirement? Me and "Sweetie" and the 3 kids like to spend the weekends during the summer at our permanent camper site in northern Wisconsin. Its nice having the 14 year old to mow the 3 acre's at home during the week when I'm gone so we all can meet at the camper on the weekends. I sent in my patent for my 18,000 different postion prosthetic wrist on Monday, so hopefully next year could bring some more hometime with the launch of Midwest ProCAD "Midwest Prosthetic Custom Assistive Devices". If not, there still are the rocks to crush, and fish to be caught at the lake. As for your trip, you and "honey" should make a swing around through Wisconsin on your way to or from Canada for a little visit and a good meal with "Sweetie" and I.

Thanks for being a great Friend;
Matt ;D

Hi Matt. No more grind for me. I did 30 years hard labor unloading trucks for a large grocery chain. I set records that no one has ever come close to matching. The job was difficult and boring. So I made the most of it by putting in all the effort I could muster and trying to do more every day. My motto was "speed and accuracy."My output was always questioned by upper management, Question like "how can you get that much done in one shift?", or, "how is it possible that you never make any mistakes?".I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you silly. Most guys that tried it gave up and quite, or moved on to something easy that they could handle.

I took my Teamster Pension (Thirty and out) and never looked back. I always said I wanted to be "The fish that got away."

This machining hobby is a different story! I work at a very slow pace, and make mistake on top of mistake. Drives me nuts at times. I amaze myself when I get a build done and running.

Free food?!!! If you were along the way I would defiantly accept the invitation, and stop in for a meal...I mean visit. Unfortunately, We head in the opposite direction to get up to our summer place in Eastern Ontario.

Wisconsin is a beautiful place. I spent a year going to school in Sturtavent, and spent most of my week ends in Racine. I have many fond memories of the friendly atmosphere and people of the region. I heard that its grown quite a bit, and that I wouldn't recognize Sturtavent today. So much for progress.

Thank you too Matt.

-MB

Latest posts

Back