Building a bench top mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_kilde

Reaction score
Hi to you all

I have started to think about building a bench top mill of my own.

I got this crazy idea to make the machine base in reenforced concrite, and would like to hear some comments on this idea.
I have only been able to find very little on this subject on the internet, mainly about CNC gantry mills

TIA for any kind of comments

Evan on the Home shop machinist forum built a CNC mill. Its worth checking out.
I thik its a 4 axis.

Hal

Concrete per se, made with Portland cement, is a bad idea as it creeps, shrinks and cracks.

However, POLYMER concrete, where an epoxy resin is used as the binding agent, along with a mineral (granite) aggregate filler is used very successfully.

Have a look over on CNCZone for 'epoxy granite' or 'polymer concrete'.

Here's what I did. I'd be happier with it if I was able to use a thicker piece for the base. The high RPM spindle works very well for the small parts I mostly work with and max 1/8" tools. For this, it's plenty rigid. For 1/4" tools in metal, it's barely acceptable. If I were building another, and I want to make a larger one at 24"x48", I'd go gantry with a double granite counter top for a base, unless I could find a cheap surface plate of the right size.

Think carefully about your Z travel and the distance to the table with various tools and fixtures. I made mine too tall to cut with short tools directly on the table. Only a 1/4" XL reaches, and I occasionally cut foam patterns with it.

Greg

I've often thought "epoxycrete" inside a steel tube would form a good basis for a home made milling machine column - except it would end up awful heavy!

If you do try it use ball screws and linear slides even if it ends up as a manual machine, and don't forget - th_wwp :big:

Vic.

Hi Folks

Thanks for your input.

My plan (well right now it's only an idea) is to build a manual machine and not CNC.

My Boxford lathe sits very firmly on a piece of granite.The holes is neither difficult or expensive if You remember to cool with water and the long cut was made in less than 5 minuttes on a professional diamond saw rig.Total price was less than 100 dollars.The stoner normally make grave monuments and my wife objected but my piece was leftover from a sculpture and i have not seen ghosts or broken tabs(yet).

Granit 002.jpg

Hello Niels

I have seen your lathe bed on LDS.dk :bow:

Thank you however for the comment

Latest posts

Back