Brand of file

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given our litigious society one would think that files would be sold today with a big blunt molded-on plastic handle as found on screwdrivers.

The only jobs I can think of where the handle might be an impediment, such as dressing down a burr on a mill table, could be done with a different tool or a file with a flat, rounded-end tang.

te_gui said:
Another good tip, especially when filing up close to jaws is to run the lathe in reverse. This way the jaw wont catch the end of the file and throw it back at you. ill second or third the handle comment as well. I have seen the tang driven thru a co-workers palm when the chuck jaw caught it.

Brian

But then you would have to file on the underside to get the file to cut?

Handles go without saying - that pointy end of files is much harder than hands.

Above I wondered why files don't come with molded plastic handles. I'm just now returned from Harbor Freight where I noticed that all of their files* have nicely molded plastic handles - big and dull, just like the clerks in the store.

--
* Unfortunately, the Far Eastern interpretation of a file seems to be a length of hot-rolled vaguely roughened with a hand grinder. Suitable for debarking trees and making lemon zest but hardly something you would want to use on metal.

That's usually the case with files with handles Marv, but I notice that Nicholson now come with integral handle - bought one just the other day.

tel said:
That's usually the case with files with handles Marv, but I notice that Nicholson now come with integral handle - bought one just the other day.
I looked at files at Lowes the other day. Somebody had the bright idea to put a 1/4" hex on them all where the tang should be so they can then sell a high-zoot 'interchangeable' handle (same as for .... screwdrivers). :p Don't they know I store my files vertically in a rack? Or maybe they do know that and want me to buy a whole lot of handles.

Lately I've been picking up files at estate sales. A little soak in the Evaporust and they're good to go.

Nicholson's files without handles is likely just a result of years of efficient marketing. They, obviously, have packing machines that wrap six or twelve files in paper and put them into a cardboard box that is almost a solid block of steel. The user can then put on any style of handle he prefers.

Look for a big increase in price if the government mandates that they must be fitted with a handle before shipment. It will takes years of design work to obtain the optimum size and shape for efficient packaging and then more years of redesign before all levels of government can agree on a standard. Then someone has to design the new packaging machine and the tool dealers have to rearrange their shelving for the increased size of the boxes.

Canada switched to metric many years ago but we still get many products in dozen quantity, or pound size container marked in oddball number of grams (454 gram pound of butter).

On the topic of file handles does anyone know of a place that sells handles for needle files at a reasonable price?
I've seen pictures of ones that work like a pin chuck for needle files.
I've got too many needle files to put a handle on each one but want a good handle that I can swap amongst them.

Tmuir, that's a good shop project. I made one about 10 years back for needle files, and it also holds round gravers very nicely for use on my WW lathe. An hour or two in the shop and you'll have one that is custom made to your liking.

I think these are self explanatory:

handle1.jpg

handle2.jpg

handle3.jpg

Nice one Dean! Being a lazy sod, I use something similar out of a craft knife set.

Latest posts

Back