Bought a new vise at Cabin Fever

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loose nut

Reaction score
My old vise was a complete basket case from day one, 15 thou out in one direction 5 thou in the other. Well I finally got tired of it and started looking fot a new one.

Kurt's, still laughing at the prices, Glacern, well I was going to go that route but I was at Cabin Fever on the weekend and the first stop I made was at the Little Machine Shop display. They had a 5" model of a Kurt style vise that looked pretty good, a little oversized compared to most of the gear that they sell but I inquired about it anyway. The rep said it will be parallel to the table within .0006" across the width of the vise, well it is a "no name" so you pays your money and takes your chances. $200.00

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3951&category=

Well I picked it up, just barely, heavy, a 6" would have been nice but way to big for the my mill (there was a 6" Kurt at the show, used but in very good condition but I got a hernia just looking at it, $180.00) and to heavy to lift. The 4" ones don't open far enough for my needs. So this looked like a good bet. See the part about paying money/taking chances.

When I got home, it was off to the shop to check it out. Now I don't really know if there is a set procedure for checking a vise for accuracy so I checked it out looking for the obvious points of error. First I put a parallel in the jaws and ran finger type indicator across it (Brown and Sharp "best test" .0005" divisions)

.0006 over 5" just like they said.

Then I ran it from end to end on the ground top (jaws can be removed and placed on the out board end of the body parts so a larger piece can be mounted, Kurt style), no noticeable movement at all on the dial.

Next I put the indicator on the top of the movable jaw and looked for upward movement when tightening the jaws on the parallel, no movement whats so ever.

The last check I did was to put the finger against the back of the fixed jaw and see if there was movement when I tightened the jaws, OK this time not as good, it moved about.0025", but I might have been over tightening it a bit, it doesn't seem to take much to get a good grip.

Now for the big question. Was my procedure right or should I have been doing something differently to get a better look at how accurate or not, that the vise is.

I would have been happy to have everything within .001"

(this was also posted at the HSM site)

You could also run a quill mounted indicator up and down on the face of the fixed jaw, and also up and down on the face of an accurate piece of material clamped in the vise up some distance over the top of the jaws. Maybe you already tried this check?

-MB

I did run the indicator up and down the jaw face, it was about .00005" out until it was near the bottom and then it jumped to almost a thou. Still pretty good.

I redid the fixed jaw test by putting the indicator against the outboard end of the fixed body not the jaw and this time it only flexed .00005".

Back