Boiler material

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillybilly

Reaction score
What sort of wall thickness and other critical dimensional aspects is required of copper pipe that is to be used for the outer of a model steam boiler ??On the asumption that copper is the best material :)

Copper is the best material for model-size boilers. Copper pipe may not be, especially in larger sizes. Size (diameter, length, material thickness) of the boiler and construction (stays, flues, fittings, etc) and pressure (working and test) are all critical to boiler safety and all change based on one another.

Either use a proven design or you have to do quite a bit of calculation work to prove a new one out-- and in some countries it still wouldn't be legal to run. The back of Kozo's New Shay book has a good section on boiler design and safety, and I believe the Australian model boiler code is posted online (as well as some scary looking test pieces)

Thanks fellas ,
i have come across some 4" dia with a 0.100" thick wall refrigeration grade seamless copper tube .In service this is pressure tested to 900psi i think so has good integrity .Dont know wheather any of the lads who make boilers could use it ,will do some investigations ..................

Latest posts

Back