blood presure

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfk

Bottom Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I`ve spent the last 15 days at home because of high blood pressure and i wasn`t able to use any machine on the workshop during that time :(
The pressure is affecting my eyes and i can`t see properly enough to comfortably use my tools.

I`m walking in circles...
Any of you have any suggestion other than watching TV that a temporarily visual impaired person could do to spend the day?

Next Monday is eye doctor day (again), i hope to get new glasses...

Extremely bored,
Norberto

PD, reading the forum was quite a job until i connected the computer to the 42' TV set :)

Norberto, Sorry to hear of your troubles. As for having any suggestions as to what you can do..... I'm only going to stressfully repeat that which the doctors have already told you (or should have) and that is to exercise as much as you possibly can, walking is good and is relatively easy, and the other is to lose weight which also plays a significant role in ones blood pressure. If yours is so far out of whack that it is effecting your eye sight than it is time for more drastic measures other than sitting on the sofa watching TV. Don't let it get you down and set your mind to overcoming this affliction by following the doctors orders to the very letter of the law. Perhaps a dietary change would be in order to go along with the exercise regimen. I'd hate to hear about you losing your sight just because you did not do what you should have been doing. Sorry to 'preach' to you if you are already doing these things but somebody has to do it. Hope the next dr. visit goes well for you.

BC1
Jim

I hope you feel better Norberto!

Take Care of that.....

Dave

Noberto,
I am visually impaired and can only work in the shop safely part of the time. On bad days I use the time to sort stock and other wise clean up the shop area. Getting all the tools in the right place and the machinery wiped down makes it all the more nice to machine when I can.

If you are using Windows, you can increase the text size on most web pages, including HMEM, by using "control +" and decrease it by using "control -". "control 0" restores it to normal. It's a big help when things are marginal. Since the text font is changed there is no pixel effect so the text stays sharp.

Microsoft and Logitec both make a mouse that can magnify areas of the screen. They are good. I like the way the Microsoft mouse works best. It has an extra button on the mouse that you use with the scroll wheel so bothe the size of the window being enlarged and the amount of enlargement can be controlled. Since this works like a magnifying lens things can get blurry fast because of the pixel limitation.

Gail in NM

Hi,
Gail, thanks for your tips :) i use a mac and after a quick search on google i found the key combination :)
My workshop is shiny (i think so, i can`t really tell!), that did keep me busy the last couple of days.

Jim, I`ve got that "preach" for the first time when i had to visit the cardiologist a couple of weeks ago :-\
Trust me, i always had a relative healthy life :) i`m still quite young (35), i do lots of sports and i tend to eat well (too much salt anyway, and it`s in the past right now)
My doctor said it was a stress spike and i should slow down, rest and sleep a lot, and take a few pills.

So far i`m all right, i feel well but the spike hit my eyes, and that is the real problem i`m having right now.
One important part of the "relax" prescription is to use my tools, create things and forget about problems and it seems i`m unable to do that in my current situation, which generates anxiety on my and raises my blood pressure...
Today i got a book about origami ;) It`s not the same but i think i could be able to relax a bit with it...

Sorry to bother you guys with this, but just to write this words here is like therapy to me :)

Norberto

What ever it takes Norberto....one day at a time and if it works...it works!

I can understand the stress thing for sure.....

Dave

Norberto, hey man, it's not a problem 'venting' here as far as I am concerned, if it helps you relax and get better, than by all means sound off all you feel you need to. I do hope that you can get your BP under control and are able to get back into the shop on a regular basis. A friend once told me something when the s**t was hitting the fan in my life and it took me a while to catch on to what he meant by it. "It could be worse, they could be shooting real bullets". His having been in Vietnam and having survived the ordeal had obviously given him a different outlook on life's day to day problems. Hang in there, it will get better.

BC1
Jim

If you have (or can get) an mp3 player and are ok downloading (or can get someone to do it for you) audio files/podcasts theres plenty of audio stuff on the web.
Librivox.org is good to start with a load of free out of copyright audio books. As Jim said walking is good, you can also take your mp3 player out and listen as you walk.

Well, seems i can build things in paper too :)

I went to the optometrist today, he gave me some drops to lower my eye pressure and i can see a lot better :)
Some small veins (capillary is the right word?) exploded with my spike, so the final fix will take a while.

Yesterday i`ve ask my son for some help on the workshop and he was very exited about it!
He`s 7 and until now the workshop was sort of off limits for him, but with supervision it is ok to stay and help.

We made a bit of progress on my own incarnation of a bass stirling.
It was awesome to spend the afternoon with my kid on the shop, he was exited about being able to move the handles with the machine operating and taking measures. I now knows how to read a caliper :)

It`s too bad to find out his interest in machining this way, if i`ve never had the spike i would never know about his interest :(

Today is going to be another nice day :)

Cheers,
Norberto

IMG00230-20110427-1550.jpg

IMG00268-20110530-1014.jpg

Latest posts

Back