Bill Reichart's Gyro Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshire

Reaction score
Finished engine #6 for the year. This one is Bill Reichart's design. A rotating cylinder engine.

Gyroengine.jpg

and a short video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl7iCJOTN64&feature=share&list=UUtv2FL7ehRo9CV-vt2kPlWw[/ame]

This is a double-acting engine with very few (compared to some others I've built) parts. Flywheel, cylinder, valve/shaft,piston and rod, two supports and a few shop-made screws.
Bill's design has the air intake on the side of the front support near the bottom. I changed that to the intake from the bottom (inside the base) through the small pipe visible in the center of the support.
The valving is similar to Elmer's Scotty and others like it with the intake and exhaust in the cylinder shaft.

valveandcylinder.jpg

There is a bit more of a description on Bill's website

http://www.billreichart.com/engines.shtml

One note:
Making offset cylinder bores and heads was not my favorite part of building engines until I got (Thank you Bogs for the explanation) the Keats Angle Plate, Once I had the cylinder in the Keats and drilled and reamed it, the two heads were placed in the Keats and turned with no additional adjustments, no indicating, no turning two simultaneous adjustments on the 4-jaw. Cheap at twice the price.

Gyro-1.jpg

Gyro-2.jpg

Best
Stan

Stan, Do you ever sleep:D

Dave

Stan

Congratulations on completion of another engine that runs beautifully, and has looks to match. What's next?

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

Hey Dave
Sleep? Waste of shop time.

Geoff
Thinking about my first I.C

Very nice Stan. I've had a soft spot for this engine for quite a while now.

There used to be a member on here by the name of Ernie who lived in Florida. At one time he offered simplified plans of Bill Reichart's engines, including this one. Haven't heard of/from him for quite a while now.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

can't imagine plans that are better done or explained. Bill did a great job. Unless the redone plans are step-by-step. That may help.

Latest posts

Back