Best method for trimming 0-80 Machine screws

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chitownmachine

Reaction score
I have some 1/2" 0-80 machine screws that I would like to trim to 1/4". Is there any way to do that with out gnarling the threads, or is the best method to buy some 1/4" screws? ;D Thanks!

Just did some 2-56 same same. drilled and taped a 1/4 inch thick piece if steel, ran the longer screws in, ground down excess flush with plate. Removing screws cleaned up the threads

Robert

What Foozer said. Except that I clip the excess length with a side cutter and then use a file to smooth flush. Works great for me.
Dennis

How many taps did you break threading the steel plate?? ;D

Since I have done a lot of that, I make up a 90° point shank from 10mm dia brass, drilled and tapped through to a counterbore at the rear (for my shortest length) I then make spacers for the different lengths.

Screw the screw (and spacer if required) in from the rear, cut off the front with diagonal pliers and put it in a cordless run in reverse & grind (such that the screw does not try to unscrew itself) against the bench grinder to 90° point then square off to leave chamfered end.

Sounds like a lot of work but the tools are easy to make and you have them forever.

Ken

boltfix.JPG

Back