Bench grinder setups

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, it must be made for regular grinder. Do you grind tools using inside of cup wheels. Are there things can not be done with regular bench grinder while you do regularly with grinders with cup wheels? I am now wondering if I should consider getting a grinder with cup wheels. Someone said that you shouldn't grind free hand with cup wheel grinder. If that is the case, it could be a very expensive set up.:confused:

I use these wheels on a cutter grinder that I have, it only grinds on the narrow face. I sharpen milling cutters and 3/8" square lathe tools on it. The wheels have a 1 1/4" bore. I don't think that they would last long if they were used for free hand grinding.

Paul.

So, if you look at only holes of those cup wheels, you could say those wheels aren't made for regular bench grinders.

"only grinds on the narrow face"
I guess you really need a cup wheel set up when you start grinding
end mills etc., which are probably too detailed for regular bench grinder.
Can I use a Dremel tool for grinding, or touch up end mill until I can get proper grinder?

Paul, have you got a specialized grinder?

So, if you look at only holes of those cup wheels, you could say those wheels aren't made for regular bench grinders.
I guess you really need a cup wheel set up when you start grinding
end mills etc., which are probably too detailed for regular bench grinder.

Paul, have you got a specialized grinder?

My cutter grinder is like this one. http://lighttoolsupply.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/cuttermaster-tool-and-cutter-grinder.html

I was fortunate, that when I retired I could keep what I wanted fom the toolroom, within reason, the CNC mill and lathe were too big to fit in my garage. I bartered with a customer who owed me money and did not use the grinder, so we made a deal. It uses 5C collets to hold the cutters, I also have a 3/8" square collet that is great for holding the HSS lathe toolbits, so I can grind them accurately. I also have a couple of diamond wheels to suit. The grinder is great for grooving tools as I can get the width spot on with all the correct clearances as well.

Paul.

Thank you, Paul.
It is a very impressive equipment!
I started collecting metal working equipment and I so far spend $2000 for second hand Chinese mill and lathe etc and thinking I have to spend at least $2000 more for such as a band saw, rotary table, dividing head .... bits. I don't think I can afford such expensive equipment.
I wish I have started before my retirement. As I mentioned I am a wood turner and have probably
more than $20,000 worth tools for it, so I may have to increase my new hobby budget ;)

Shikyo: please do not feel overwhelmed.
Remember this hobby is supposed to be fun.
Also remember that 100 hundred years ago the hobby model shop looked a lot different than today. the hobby lathe was a little more than a wood turners lathe and much work was done with hack saws files hammers and chisels. The fact you have a lathe and a mill you are way ahead of the game.
Be aware some here become tool collectors and that is fine.

IMHO a tool grinder is a luxury in the home hobby shop. Buy what you feel you need and can afford.

IMHO knowledge creativity and perseverance are the most important tools in this hobby . Set a goal and build it. You may have to make tooling and jigs along the way part of the game.

I cut most of my aluminum and brass on a woodworking band saw.
Hack saws work for many thing and one can part on a lathe or shaper and you can cut a part in two on a mill. Learn to use what you have. Be creative be safe ask if you need help. But have fun and build something.
Tin

Shikyo, I fully agree with what Tin stated, I was fortunate to be able to have a cutter sharpener, but on the other hand, I don't have a bandsaw of any description. I either use a hand hacksaw, part the material off or mill it off a larger plate. It's amazing what you can do with just a lathe and mill.

Paul.

Latest posts

Back