Bandsaw Mod idea

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
Sorry there are no photos for what I'm considering. It's still in the brainstorming phase. Like many of you I own a small inexpensive tilt type horizontal bandsaw. It has limitations but it performs its duty well within them. I've got mine cutting nice and square so there are no major complaints about the little guy.

I saw the saw mods in the other thread and they got me thinking. Why not extend the cutting vise idea a bit. I'm thinking about adding a platform on the front of the saw to give me more room to clamp things like Marv's vise or V blocks, perhaps even adding a lead screw to let me make finer adjustments to the cuts.This idea would seem to offer a bit more cutting capacity in many instances since the saw bridge would be some distance from the cutting zone. Think "reverse loading" the saw.

It would seem simple enough to attach a front piece by using the existing vise to align things squarely and then let the blade cut its own slot. I have not begun modeling this idea yet so I figured I'd ask if anyone has gone this route, so I'm not reinventing the wheel. Ideas, missed roddblocks??

Steve

I've thought about something similar. Several times in the past I've clamped a piece of 4" channel iron on the outboard side so I could cut a 1" piece off the end of steel tubing that was 6" or 7" in diameter.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back