Australian Taps

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunboatbay

Reaction score
I purchsed a box of assorted taps at a garage sale recently. They all seem to be in excellent condition, a lot of them appear unused as they have a plastic coating. Most of them are marked "P&N, Australia". Can anyone tell me about the quality of this brand??

GBB a quick Google search shows P & N (PATIENCE & NICHOLSON) was purchased by Sutton in 2001 my guess would be the dies you have were Australian made and of good quality. I am sure some of the Aussies here can clarify this.
Tin

But ............ bear in mind, you have to use them from the underside of the work piece, tapping upwards ;)

CC

P&N Taps and Dies and their new owners Sutton are high quality if you can afford them. Most of mine come from trash and treasure markets.

CrewCab said:
But ............ bear in mind, you have to use them from the underside of the work piece, tapping upwards ;)
CC

In Oz we thought that was how the English did it. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

yes P&N is very good quality and Sutton tools are used widely in industry

around here if you want quality you go for Sutton ;)

I have a set of P+N tap and dies, 1/4" to 3/4" NC and NF. They are as good as my Greenfield and Goliath ones, maybe better.

No argument from me either, P&N (later Sutton) are the brand of choice down here.

Latest posts

Back